[ SHOWGSD-L ] ENLARGED SPLEEN-please help ???

  • From: cheradongsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:19:10 -0400

Hello,
I am very upset-been crying all weekend.? My most precious love, Jenna, -who is
more human than dog--so super smart--so loving--and who owns me and a huge
portion of my heart--was just diagnosed with an "enlarged spleen".? She is 9
yrs old.? she was spayed on May 22, 2009--just 2 months ago.? Her surgery seems
to have healed fine, my vet said there were no other abnormalities in there
when she did the surgery-no signs of tumors or cancer--(although her overies
were HUGE-and covered with cysts--but no sign of cancer or tumors there.)

She has been very normal, eating, playing, just being her normal happy self.?
For the past week or so I have noticed that she seems to have a small "belly"
--fullness--in her abdomen that I feel shouldnt be there-sort of like she just
ate a big meal or?had a big poop there-but it has been there for a week or so.?
So I took her to my vet on Sat--she felt her and said it was rather hard and
felt like her spleen-she took an xray--and showed me that her spleen is
enlarged--maybe 4 times or so what it should be.? She showed me an xray of
another dog who was?normal and?that?spleen is quite a bit smaller than Jenna's.

I know that GSD for some reason have a larger spleen than other breeds--no one
seems to know why--but Jenna's is quite a bit larger than it should be.

Of course I said we have to operate and get it out of there-I was told it could
rupture and that would be VERY bad-I was told it is probably
malignant--cancer--and that her chances dont look real good.? For it to be that
big only since May 22 is rather frightening.
I was given an estimate of between $700 and $1,300 for the surgery.? I am still
paying for the damn spay--which was $840 so I still owe on that--

I dont know what to do.

There must be someone out there who has dealt with spleen problems.? Because it
is that big only since May--does that mean it is probably cancer and even if we
do the operation, I will lose her within a short time anyway?

Jenna's mother is now 11--she had spleenic torsion about 3 yrs ago-we operated
and removed the spleen--she is fine.? happy, healthy and normal.

?Please--I need some info on this.? I am dying inside to think that I might
lose my precious Jenna soon.
I dont know how I can live without her.

Cheri Hunt----Cheradon Shepherds
Home of Ch. Cheradon AchtungErynbrook Molokai, TC, OFA H&E, PA,TH,CA, Eyes
Cert. and Certificate of Health Merit Excellent from the GSDCA (aka Ch. Mikey)

?