[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dumb Show People (More of the same)

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:18:18 -0800

If the guests at your shows are Pigs, then it is up to the show committee to
police the grounds to keep them SPOTLESS.  Then you will be welcome to come
back again.

Birgit Rhoads
Woodland

Ya! The darn show committee should have done better for us. All three of
them. <grin>

This year, was the first show in about 25 years that I was not the president
of the club and had no dogs in the ring - in fact brought none to the show.
So I was free to do potty patrol. I always keep a roll of small bags in my
pocket, and I do not return the full ones to the pocket, regardless of my
age and mental capacity.

In that the rest of the club were busy selling catalogues, giving out arm
bands, ring stewarding, entertaining judges, picking up and return judges,
announcing, fixing lunch (Thank you Evan and Tedi), getting their own dogs
ready and into the ring, trying to squeeze in a brief hello to friends they
wanted desperately to spend time with, and answering a thousand questions
and putting out fires, I though it behooved me to watch the grounds.

I failed. I also had to stop and acknowledge a few friends, delightedly,
briefly, and hopefully tactfully in the rush to discover the next pile. I
passes out a whole roll of bags, to reluctant but at least gracious guests
who were busy trying to get King back to the ring for his turn in the show,
and who had the best of intentions to return to the site of the pile as soon
as possible.

In my quest for pile reduction, I was inadvertently struck with the thought
that hot dogs were on the grill, and chili was boiling. Although rather less
than ready to exchange my role from pile retrieval to lunch recipient, I
rushed to the line forming at the grill. It was then, and only then, that
Alycia remembered that we were supposed to pick up ice for the event and had
forgotten to do so. Living in Reno and having our show in Sacramento does
have some logistical disadvantages. So I left the line, drove to the nearest
large street and started down it, knowing that sooner or later it would
reveal a market of some sort with ice.

It did not! So I turned onto an even wider street and drove a few miles,
only to discover that Murphy's law is a reality, not a myth. Whenever you
need a cop or ice, there is no one there. As the buildings grew taller, I
realized that I was in downtown Sacramento and that the prospects of finding
ice was now rather remote. So I took the largest street I could find and
started moving away from town. And finally, there it was, a supermarket.

It had ice, which I discovered by finally interrupting a clerk dealing with
a foreigner who could not understand English, and followed her annoyed
pointing to the corner of the store. Then I waited in line, I mean
w-a-i-t-e-d... got back to the car with my large bag of melting ice, and hit
the outlet, realizing that, you guessed it, I am not from Sacramento, and at
my age, I was lost.

So I pulled back into the parking lot and got out the trusty portable GPS
(God bless the genius who came up with this thing), plugged it in and waited
for it to recharge so it would work. I mean w-a-i-t-e-d! No luck. It was too
dead to come alive, so I had an idea. Find the freeway one ramp - there are
signs for those things, and follow them back to Reno, then return by the
familiar route. It worked. Long before getting to Reno, I saw a sign for the
street the park was on, got off and in short order, was back at the show
site.

I delivered my half bag of ice with the included half bag of water to the
table. It had only taken me 45 minutes, but here's the real problem! Those
Dumb Show People, now an official pronoun, had eaten all the hot dogs and
chili and I had to settle for a cookie and a coke - and forgive me coke
people - I only drink Pepsi.

So, the show committee should have - oh forget it! I got another roll of
bags and then got caught up in watching the show and what with no lunch, no
ice and no GPS, I realized that the pile patrol had gone to heck and it was
time to help tear down the site and pack things up. I love the shows, but
they are busy for everyone involved, and, well, possibly the best we can all
do is stop for ten minutes after the show and walk the grounds, before we
hurry off toward home, or to restaurant row with our friends. And I promise.
I will do better next year.

Dave