[ SHOWGSD-L ] Down Pastern Details --

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "show gsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:22:28 -0500

Yes to the request for the way to clear up this mess.
#1 It is in the 93/94 Redbook.  It's also in the 1995 Review.
Also an original formula was set up by Scootie years ago.
Drop protein to 16%; 800 units of vitamin E (per day);
1000 milligrams of vitamin C (per day)
(Now THIS is the real culprit)
Increase Selenium & Magnesium to 200 milligrams per
feeding (2 times a day)
It is a Selenium deficiency and sheep will also get it as
their diets do not include enough at times.

Maalox and Mylanta assist in giving the needed additions
in an easy manner.  Oh, IF the dog is a bit overweight, do
reduce that.  It usually takes a MONTH OR SO --
Easy exercise and it's known that going up and down
hills helps a lot more than just flat work.
YES, there have been some, but rarely that do now come up!
How severe the condition is must be noted.  I have had very
few in my time and just since the 90s.  I also, as someone
else mentioned, feel from what I've seen that it IS genetic.
I bred the same bitch to 2 different males and only 1 litter
had this.    However, that 1 male, bred to other bitches did
produce this ailment.         One case I saw was horrible and
the animal was totally crippled on all four legs, there was no
way that this could ever be corrected.  So, this is IT for this
"syndrome"  Oh, the pics in the Review were saddening as
well as the info in the Redbook.          Norma no L