[ SHOWGSD-L ] Double Handling the way Mother Nature meant it to be...

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:33:04 -0400

Well I've finally perfected the fine art of double handling my dog.  And
yes, being the generous heart that I am, I'm going to share my little
secret with you.   If you remember I reported I take Amber up the
mountain by the side of my house to tighten up that rear to get her
ready for the shows.  It's a very cool, crisp day here in New York.
Perfect day for a hike.  Amber knows when I put the bug spray on my face
and hers, we're going up the mountain.  She can barely contain herself
waiting for me to put her nylon collar around her neck.
"Into the woods" I tell her, and once again we're off.  Snapping of
twigs and rustling of leafs underfoot......"oh, hello little spider" I
say, whose web is entwined around a branch that just misses my face as I
quickly dart to the side to avoid it.
Today I'm feeling stronger.  The tempertures are lower, and my huffing
and puffing is brought to a minimum as we climb the mountain.    Amber's
nose is on the ground too distracted to notice.  "Aw yes, this is the
life" I say to myself, "nature in all its free and abundant glory, the
way it was meant to be".  With this thought in mind, I decide I'm going
to do something different today.  Something, up to this point I've been
relunctant to try.  When Amber and I get up to the top of the mountain,
I'm going to let her run loose so she'll get even get better exercise.
I've already prepared for this you see.  I've trained her since I've had
her to respond to the sound of my keys and and when she comes to me,
which she always happily does, she'll get a dog cookie.  This has always
worked fine in the house and outside on a leash.  Now to test the power
of the "keys and the cookie".  "Okay, here we go", I say to myself as I
make the sign of the cross as I unhook her leash.    At first she's not
aware of being free and remains close by.  "Yes, all is well", I
convince myself.  No sooner does that thought come from my peaceful
mind, and off to the right of me, a quick motion catches by eye, but not
before it catches Amber's eye.  Like lighting she's charging through the
woods in pursuit of a family of deer.  They jump and run gracefully as
she is at a full gallop.  She's no match for their speed and their
knowledge of their surroundings.  She comes to a peak and is anxiously
wondering which way they went.  I pull out my keys and I call  her,
"Amber come" as I jingle them in the now silent woods.  She looks to the
direction where "Bambi" and his family just went and hears the jingle of
my keys again and knows a tasty morsel awaits her.  Yes, my beautiful
girl comes to me and is quickly awarded with her cookie and just as
quickly gets her leash snapped back onto her collar.
Let me tell you she pulled me half way back down the mountain and if
that deer family had any sense of humor, they were probably laughing as
all they could hear this foolish human saying was "take it easy Amber,
slow down, will you, momma can't keep up with you" I tell her.  (Yeah, I
did say momma....it's an Italian thing).   So I made a decision.   Some
of you people on the List have said you'll be looking forward to meeting
me at the shows, but because you never met me, you'll have to ask other
people where I am.  No you don't.  I'll make it easy on you.  I'll be
the one running around the outside of the ring with "Bambi" double
handling Amber.   I just saw her double handle and pull like a maniac.
Watch out competition, you "ain't" got nothing on me.  I've finally
figured out how to double handle my Amber.           Barbara
Galasso             p.s. anyone else have any unique ways they double
handle their dogs?    p.s.s. I know I'm going to hear from someone on
the List who used to be a forest ranger (he's contacted me
before)................I know, I know, but we're having so much fun!!!