[ SHOWGSD-L ] Don't pick on the old dogs, or the old people

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:29:00 EST

In a message dated 12/5/2004 9:18:07 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Someone  posted about considering the age of a stud dog when breeding.  I
definitely consider the age.  I want to see a  stud dog who's sire  is still
alive, and his grand sire.  Same for the bitch  side.

I remember one time when Twyla asked me to show Lethal Weapon  at the Los
Angeles show in Veterans. I had done it year after year for her, and  looked in
the catalog and was sure it was a mistake. I think it showed him as  eleven,
and he moved around the ring as he always had, with a great shoulder,  and lots
of style.

When I came out of the ring I pointed it out to Twyla, who  informed me it
was not a mistake. His sire was Chase, whose father was Joan  Ortegara's dog
that died so young. We do have to look at the lines, but also  have to be
careful
not to be fooled by one or two animals in the pedigree.

Nothing is better than personal experience in considering  breeding, and Kris
must be right, look at the success he has had.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together