[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Don't knock Review

  • From: "TRAFALGAR" <TRAFALGARgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:38:31 -0500

I for one, appreciate Gail's efforts and she has my support.

Forgive me if I cover ground already covered, but the best I can do is
spot-check the list for current/semi-current topics.

Although the focus of much discussion has been the timeliness in which the
Review is received, I think the Review faces far graver issues and my
concerns are beyond the scope of Gail's responsibilities and efforts.
I think it is time to re-invent the Review.  Bring back some of the things
we enjoyed from the past, keep what we have that we like and add that which
would make the Review a more complete product.

When I first became interested in the breed, I devoured the Reviews and Red
Books.  These along with a few books provided a written history of the
breed. I bought old Reviews (full decades) of the 70's, 60's and have
acquired some from the 50's.  These materials educated me both pictorially,
pedigree wise, as well as though the articles, interviews, etc.   If you did
a lot of cross referencing between issues etc., you also picked up on some
interesting insights.

Today, with electronic media as it is, much of what is in the Review, is
already known (Parent Club show results, minutes,etc.) plus all that is
shared on the List and I assume other similar sites.

I have seen where a few have made solid suggestions for helping to revive
the review.  I appalaud these positive comments. They should be given
serious consideration. I think it would be beneficial to have a focus group
(maybe one already exists?) to brainstorm new ideas for the Review, as well
as to receive and consider suggestions from the membership.

Although the Review is still a great magazine, declining pages, ads, etc.
are a warning that it is time to take on the challenge of change.  The
biggest change / challenge is that the Review is no longer the single best
monthly source for goings on in the breed.  How can we, the membership,
help/contribute to dare I say "saving" the Review ?

Mike

Michael Cheeks
TRAFALGARgsds@xxxxxxxxx