[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Don't assume your vet is always honest.

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:31:27 GMT

GSDs, along with some other herding breeds, can have the mutant/mutant or
mutant/normal MDR1 gene which is most noted for causing toxicity to Ivermectin.
BUT there are other drugs included in the list of problematic drugs including
Vincristine, Vinblastine, Doxorubicin which are used as chemotherapy agents!
The University of Washington's website lists drugs that have been documented to
cause problems in dogs with the MDR1 mutation which include:

"Ivermectin (antiparasitic agent)-While the dose of ivermectin used to prevent
heartworm infection is SAFE in dogs with the mutation (6 micrograms per
kilogram), higher doses, such as those used for treating mange (300-600
micrograms per kilogram) will cause neurological toxicity in dogs that are
homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant) and can cause toxicity in dogs
that are heterozygous for the mutation (mutant/normal).

Selamectin, milbemycin, and moxidectin (antaparasitic agents)-Similar to
ivermectin, these drugs are safe in dogs with the mutation if used for
heartworm prevention at the manufacturer?s recommended dose. Higher doses
(generally 10-20 times higher than the heartworm prevention dose) have been
documented to cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.

Loperamide (ImodiumTM; antidiarrheal agent)-At doses used to treat diarrhea,
this drug will cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.This
drug should be avoided in all dogs with the MDR1 mutation.

Acepromazine (tranquilizer and pre-anesthetic agent)-In dogs with the MDR1
mutation, acepromazine tends to cause more profound and prolonged sedation.We
recommend reducing the dose by 25% in dogs heterozygous for the MDR1 mutation
(mutant/normal) and by 30-50% in dogs homozygous for the MDR1 mutation
(mutant/mutant).

Butorphanol (analgesic and pre-anesthetic agent)-Similar to acepromazine,
butorphanol tends to cause more profound and prolonged sedation in dogs with
the MDR1 mutation.We recommend reducing the dose by 25% in dogs heterozygous
for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/normal) and by 30-50% in dogs homozygous for the
MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant).

Vincristine, Vinblastine, Doxorubicin (chemotherapy agents)-Based on some
published andongoing research, it appears that dogs with the MDR1 mutation are
more sensitive to these drugs with regard to their likelihood of having an
adverse drug reaction. Bone marrow suppression (decreased blood cell counts,
particulary neutrophils) and GI toxicity (anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea) are
more likely to occur at normal doses in dogs with the MDR1 mutation. To reduce
the likelihood of severe toxicity in these dogs (mutant/normal or
mutant/mutant), we recommend reducing the dose by 25-30% and carefully
monitoring these patients. "
The page also includes information on "drugs that are known to be pumped out of
the brain by the protein that the MDR1 gene is responsible for producing but
appear to be safely tolerated by dogs with the MDR1 mutation" and "drugs that
may be pumped out by the protein that the MDR1 is responsible for producing,
but appear to be safely tolerated by dogs with the MDR1 mutation".

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/breeds.aspx
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums

-- ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/25/2007 11:58:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cheryllclay@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I worked  as a surgery tech for many many years and it was truly a rare
occasion a dog  died due to a reaction to anesthesia. Jen was present when she
lost
her baby  so there is no denying what happened to her dog. I have one of
Lahela's son's  and my heart goes out to her. I hate to think anyone is making
her
feel as  though she didn't take the right precautions or did an unnecessary
procedure.
I would like to discuss dogs that we are "told" have died from a "reaction
to anesthesia".

This tweeked my interest because of something that happened to me last  week.

I just talked to another of our great dog friends who has deveopled cancer.
I will let him tell you, I didn't ask if I could. But, he wanted to talk to me
 about chemo, and what to expect.

When I had chemo, the oncologist ignored my complaints, and kept shinning  me
on. Lots of people have chemo, and died. Everyone says, "well, they died of
cancer, the chemo didn't work." That isn't always true.

It turned out, that I was alergic to the chemo, and it would have killed  me,
had I not insisted they stop.The doctors never told me this was a
possibility and had I not spoken up, they would have continued until I was
dead.

In all medical treatment, for your dogs, or yourself, always questions what
is going on.  That also applies to lawyers.  It is not always  dishonesty, but
at times, a lack of listening, and a desire to move on to the  next patient
or client.

Evan

Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come   together