[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dogue de Bordeaux dies at dog show (Crufts)

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:41:12 -0400

from Dogs Today Magazine (a UK publication)'s page on Facebook and shared by
Peggy
Dogs Today Magazine
Just spoken to the owner of Marley, the Dogue De Bordeaux that very sadly died
yesterday. Marley was three years old and seemed to be in excellent health
earlier in the day. On the way out of Crufts she collapsed and vets were
quickly on the scene. Laryngeal paralysis was the diagnosis and the decision
was taken to let her go as quality of life would have been very poor if
extraordinary means were used. This was the first anyone knew of Marley having
any health issues. Marley had had her hips done under anaesthetic about a year
ago and until yesterday there had been no sign of any health problem but the
Crufts vets felt this was a ticking time bomb and it could have happened at any
time. Happening at Crufts meant that vet's were close and suffering kept to a
minimum. It was devastating to Marley's owners but the have vowed to find out
everything they can about laryngeal paralysis so that they can help prevent
this happening to anyone else. My Googling shows that it is often idiopathic -
I've come across it in Dalmatians. I am sure we all send them our love and
support on such a very sad and traumatic event. If you see any comments
suggesting overheating being the cause please direct people to this statement
as there was nothing Marley's owners could have done differently to save her.