[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dogs in Review

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:24:27 -0800 (PST)

We also have to keep in mind that there is a very large group that has AKC reg.
GSD's that do not show in the AKC style show ring. We are one of a few breeds
that is divided between AKC and Working dog rings. I wonder what the numbers
would look like if we factored in all dog spec. dogs shows for GSD's be they
AKC or WDA.
Terry
SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Actually Janice many breeds offer most of what we have, some offer even more.

I attended the Briard National, also held in a ball room, this year. They had
herding, (two days plus instinct testing) Agility (two days) Obedience (two
Days), more than 200 breed entries, sweeps stakes (over 50 entries) and a
REsemblement with over 500 entries (this is like a koerklasse). No tracking
this year but they usually do have it. Briards are a very small breed in
numbers. Yet their national was very close to ours in size and scope.

The Collie National was held in April in Springfiled MA. They had herding, two
days collie only, Agility two days, obedience two days, and sweeps, over 100
entries and conformation with about 700 entries. This is a small National for
them as it is n the North East. Most of the dogs are handled by professionals.

The Belgian Terv, Sheepdog and Mal nationals all offer everything we do except
the Schutzhund. The Rottie National offers as much and have applied to hold
Schutzhund. The Pembrok Welsh Corgi's held two Nationals this year, one for
conformation and one for performance.
Aussie and BC Nationals are also very large offering all kinds of things.
Even the Cattle Dog National offers herding, obedience, agility and lots of
health clinics liek baer testing and eye clinics. They even have properties
classes (best ears, best head, best feet, etc) and a gigantic fundraiser called
Dingo Bingo.
WE are not by any stretch of the imagination the largest National, nor are we
alone in offering a lot of things to do. Sporting and hounds also hold very
large performance parts in conjunction with their conformation. We may have
some unique aspects to our National (like sod) but we should be comparing it to
other breeds and their entries. The breed portion of our National has
definately shown a large decline in entries over the past 25 years.
Fortunately, agility and heridng have taken up the slack so that it is less
noticable.
Susan

Comparing our National to those of other breeds by just looking
at entries, cannot give a true picture of the dedication of the
owners and breeders, because we have different circumstances
involved. Instead of just looking at the number of conformation
entries, if they also looked at the many other events being held
as part of the GSD National, I doubt many other breeds could
compare! Our National also has obedience, agility, tracking,
herding and the Working Dog invitational. I don't know if any
other breeds can match that.

Janice Buchanan

In a message dated 11/30/2004 6:58:20 PM Mountain Standard Time,
texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx writes:
There is an interesting article in the Dec 2004 issue of Dogs in
Review entitled "How Special are Specialties". The author is Bo
Bengston. It is research and stats on specialty shows held in 2003.
There were over 2,000 specialty shows held in 2003 and 167 of them
were GSD specialty shows. Other popular breeds like Goldens and
Labs had only 51 and 36 specialties respectively. The Golden
National had 790 entries and the Lab National had 726. The Golden
National had the most entries of any specialty in 2003. Number 10
on the list was the Newfie National with 416 entries. The GSD
National only had 270 entries-- not enough to even make the top 10
and the was only one other GSD specialty show with more than 100
entries in 2003. The average GSD specialty entry for 2003 was 48,
several shows had just a few dozen entries. The author wondered if
we were tired of so many specialties and if the PC was unhappy with
all of the small specialties since it only did one show a year. And
was suprised that the entries were so small when GSD's are the 4th
most popular AKC breed. Does anyone have opinions on why our
specialty shows are so poorly attended?

Diane

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
From: SCHARO1@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:43:13 EST
Subject: Re: We have other issues

Some of you may remember a number of years ago, a handler from Las Vegas by
the name of Ron Whitehead. Ron stopped handling back in the 80's and became
a judge.

On his first or second assignment, an old handler friend of Ron's was
showing an Open Dog. HE quietly told Ron that this exhibit only need that day's
win to finish.
Ron stopped judging, walked to the center of the ring, and announced to the
crowd:
"Ladies & Gentlemen, this noted handler has just informed me that his dog
could finish today. Isn't that wonder! Let's give this dog a round of
applause." Then he resumed judging and needless to say that dog DI NOT go up
under
him.
Unfortunately, Ron lost his fight with cancer the next year. We need judges
of this caliber.

Carol Moore

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
From: "Whispawillow German Shepherds"
Subject: Re: Lip Flapping
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:42:52 -0600

Why do some show people and handlers find it necessary to trash another
persons dogs?

I will never understand the need. There are much better things to lip flap
about then to trash another person's dogs. I am just so tired of hearing it
all too often. Are they perhaps that immature or is it just that they are
intimidated by the competition the other dogs represent.

CHILDREN GROW UP!!!

Maria Fabrik
Whispawillow German Shepherds
www.whispawillowkennels.com
Shepherds for show, work and play

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
From: "noroda"
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:27:34 -0800

Yes, Ron handled for me back then. He was great, I still miss the phone
calls and German shepherd talk we used to have.
Rosemarie Davis
CA.

Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 9:43 PM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: We have other issues

> Some of you may remember a number of years ago, a handler from Las Vegas
by
> the name of Ron Whitehead. Ron stopped handling back in the 80's and
became
> a judge.
>
> On his first or second assignment, an old handler friend of Ron's was
> showing an Open Dog. HE quietly told Ron that this exhibit only need that
day's
> win to finish.
> Ron stopped judging, walked to the center of the ring, and announced to
the
> crowd:
> "Ladies & Gentlemen, this noted handler has just informed me that his
dog
> could finish today. Isn't that wonder! Let's give this dog a round of
> applause." Then he resumed judging and needless to say that dog DI NOT
go up under
> him.
> Unfortunately, Ron lost his fight with cancer the next year. We need
judges
> of this caliber.
>
> Carol Moore

> POST is Copyrighted 2004. All material remains the property of the

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:28:01 -0500
From: NHANSBURG@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Dogs in Review and more...

this post is completely true.
i can testify for evan that there are more shepherd specialty judges as there
were more specialty handlers licenses originally given in shepherds.
we have too many specialty shows when we had the number the lab and golden
people have we got those entries too.
judging is really no different as a whole then it was thirty years ago but
there were less assignments to go around then.
we all made the same shows and saw more of each other and it was more
competitive because of that. but it was also more fun and shorter weekends
since we all worked.
now i find myself going to one very long weekend every three months 4-6 shows
instead of one two show weekend a month.
pegs call on the specialties is right on the nose.