[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dogs going the way of the Horse

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:09:03 EDT

Kate (if I may call you that...I think I have to since I don't remember your
last name xD), truer words were never spoken.
But...while nice, it is still just sentiment.  I am 20 years old, love dog
shows...can't afford them.  Well, in part, I can't afford the most important
part of the dog show...the dog.  I can't pay $1000 for a dog that may or may
not
turn out, and then campaign it every weekend to finish it (even though that is
what I desire to do).

I work with a professional groomer for $8.00/hr, 2 days a week.  I'm making
about $400-600 a month.  That's not even enough to cover rent for an apartment,
let alone two dogs, entry fees, hotel costs, and gas prices.

I'd love to show, our sport is suffering and dying.  But until I get a raise
or a gift puppy, I won't be able to truly "get off the couch and walk the
dog".  I have Strauss entered in obedience and rally trials, and we're starting
herd...but I don't show outside the state of Wisconsin, and where we will be
herding is only about 30 minutes away.

I cannot afford (and probably won't be able to for quite a long time),
another GSD puppy.  I have a Corgi pup coming next year, but the cost of a show
prospect is considerably less than a GSD prospect, and I'm splitting the cost
with
another person (a dear friend and co-owner).  I'd offer my dog Strauss to any
junior that was interested, but the fact is, juniors want something whizbang
gorgeous, and conformationally, while I love Strauss, he is whizbang crap :-/
Floppy ear, scars from trying to tape them up, east west front...

I want this sport to grow and flourish again, but the fact of the matter is,
the country is losing interest in dog shows, and the average family is
struggling just to fill their gas tanks.

- Jackie

Marcato Shepherds
Where it's about function, not flash

In a message dated 5/10/2006 3:01:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
rockannand@xxxxxxx writes:
So, who is going to kick the younger generation off the couch to go walk the
dog?  Something's got to change or only the very wealthy will have kennels,
tomorrow.

And, the Clubs fold.

Kate