[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dogs and cats and eagles and bears.....oh my indeed!

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 18:51:11 -0400

One of the reasons I like being on the different lists and writing my
blog is I get to "meet" so many different and interesting people.  Here
is some correspondence from a lovely lady who wrote to be about my blog
I wrote today.  She said that I could share this information with the
lists.  I was fascinated by her correspondence about all the wild
animals she has in her back yard and front!  After she sent me five
letters (which I've condensed here), I finally got her to tell me where
she lives.  In my last letter, I asked her what happened to the cow and
calf and the grizzly.  So sit back and take a look.  Be happy for the
rabbits that may hop across your lawn once in a while........as I
said.......it's a jungle out there!   Anybody else live among the wild
of the land?    Barbara

Hi Barbara!
Some you forgot to mention and I am sure you have these in your land -
toads, puppies love to pick them up. Causes intense swelling of the face
and once again benedryl works wonders.  And one from up here which we
find to be more dangerous than bears ( we get black and grizzly bears).
Moose. They know no bounds and will not be intimidated, with or without
calf. They will stomp even the most agile dog to death. Oh yes and then
there are the wolves and coyotes. They will lure your dog away from his
or her friends and that is the end. Isn't living in the forest grand!
The things I can tell you about the wild! we have cougars as well. I
have photos of the moose in our yard. I have had two of my dogs in a
standoff with 400 lb bears and thank goodness there were 4 other dogs to
back them up. We do not have fences. Oh yes here is a good one for you.
Beware of bald eagles. They will take your young pups right out of the
pen. We have a roof to prevent them from entering and they will still
try. So to all of you living down south - we build tough dogs up here!
lol.

One more for you. Sometimes the bitch foxes can't find a male and they
will come sing songs at the door to entice my boy out for fun!  One year
a fox grabbed my cat with intention to eat him ( and he is a HUGE cat),
my old boy (rest his soul) went to the cats rescue and whipped that
fox.  From that day on the cat and dog would wander the forest together.
The cougars here will take out a shepherd just like that. A few owners
here have had  this loss. We had only one cougar this year and he just
passed through, a beautiful sight to see standing in the front yard.

We were out fishing one summer and we would take our old boy as he was a
warrior and knew how to negotiate the canoe without tipping us. There
was a splash and a cow and calf moose jumped in  the lake a few feet
from us. You could see they had been running hard. They passed by our
boat as if we weren't there and THEN came the splash we did not want to
hear. The grizzly following them jumped in after them and I grabbed
Diesel's head and stuffed it down in the boat as he passed  a matter of
feet away and was headed to our truck across the lake. Well the race was
on as we used the last of our electric motor to beat him, stuffed the
dog in the truck and got the heck outa dodge in a matter of minutes. It
was way too close of an encounter with a grizzly.  It is a beautiful
place up here, you just have to be prepared.

Gees sorry Barb!  I am located 17 kms ( or should I say 11 miles east of
Prince George, British Columbia, which is 500 miles from the Alaska
border, 500 miles from Prince Rupert, 500 miles from Edmonton Alberta
and 500  miles from Vancouver BC. God's country.

Oh yes the griz. Well like I said we took off knowing he was in our
camp. The cow had landed before us, you should see how fast they can
swim!  Will send you shot of the moose in our yard a few weeks ago
tonite! And our snow goes very fast so don't be surprised at the
amount!   Dawn