[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "Dogs Who Love and Protect." (Long)

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blackoaks1@xxxxxxx" <Blackoaks1@xxxxxxx>, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:55:40 -0700

This was really beautiful, Marcia. Thanks for sharing it with us. I wish I
had been there to see him get the Hero Award. What a great story.
Lee

Liane Fossland
Home of Ch. Donar, Loni,CD, Auburn, Kara Mia and Windy
www.steppenwindgsd.com

EarthLink Revolves Around You.

Sarge
> developed Parvovirus, and in 1980, the Vets were not sure how to treat
it. My
> husband at the time told me to have Sarge put down, but I refused. He
spent
> some  days at the animal Hospital on IVs, and survived. Five months later
Sarge
> saved  MY life, when he attacked a man who was strangling me in the
course of
> an  attempted robbery of the store I managed. I had put Sarge on a
"down-stay"
> in  the room above the store where my son and daughter were asleep. When
the
> man  came in to rob us, I struggled with him, and as the man was
strangling me
> Sarge broke his down (intelligent disobedience?) and came down the
stairs.
> On the point of blacking out, I did not comprehend what was happening.
The man
> had let me go, and was fighting with my dog. Sarge was making a horrible
> sound,  somewhere between a growl, and a roar. The would be robber was
punching,
> and  kicking Sarge. Thinking my puppy was being hurt, I grabbed his
collar, and
>  pulled him off. The man fled out the door, leaving all the bloody money
> strewn  on the floor. Sarge's story made National headlines, and when
Blanche
> Biesswenger got the story, she took it to the Parent Club. The Hero Dog
awards
> began, and in 1985, at the St. Louis National, then President Sam
Lawrence put
> the Silver Medal around Sarge's neck, and he received a standing ovation.
> lot  of you may remember that.
> Sarge was an AMERICAN bred German Shepherd Dog. He was never trained to
> bite, but was an intregal part of our family, and guarded us for nearly
13  years.
> His story has been in a few books, one of which is "Dogs Who Love and
> Protect" by Tom Rose. I know that a well bred, and well raised German
Shepherd  Dog