[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog meat OFF the menu???...think about it

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windwych@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:27:32 -0400

Years ago I saw two different programs on this subject about eating
meat.  One was about a third world country who ate dog meat.  It showed
how the "owner" of a dog dragged, (yes the dog sensed something horrible
was going to happen) the terrified dog from his small house and forced
him down a hill.  When he got the dog there, he clubbed him to death and
then cooked him over an open fire.  Now for the second show.  This was a
documentary done here in our country showing a slaughter hose.  As in
the first program, eyes filled with fear stared back at the camera
person who filmed this.  Because the cattle were all led up a ramp, the
fear was experienced by all of them who waited their tortuous end.  They
showed how a stick like instrument was put in to the side of the animal
to shock it.  Then they strung them up on a hook as their bodies and
legs jerked until the slaughter began.  To this day, I don't know how I
watched these barbaric practices.  I could never watch it now.  My
sister went to China last year and told me that she saw dog on the
menu.  When I told her how this disgusted me, she told me this is a
country that has millions and millions of people and many of them go
hungry.   And I was at Red Lobster the other day (speaking of the
lobster tanks), and as I walked by, I turned my head.  I can't even look
at them in the tanks in the super market.  I was born on Long Island, NY
where we lived down the street from the ocean.  I grew up on the docks
where the fishermen used to bring in their catch.  I used to go blue
crab catching along the banks of the docks.  I didn't eat them.  Just
wanted to catch them.  One day a newspaper photographer came along and
asked to take a picture of me holding one of these creatures (just about
dead, because otherwise I wouldn't pick it up) and that picture went
into the Long Island newspaper.  I was only ten years old.  My point is
that seafood is a favorite menu item among many people and this is how
the fishermen make their living because people like seafood.  I live in
the country and every time that I drive past a dairy farm, I say to
myself, the cows are one of God's greatest creatures.  It gives us so
much.  As we know in India, they are a sacred animal.  Here they are a
disposable animal.  I often wonder if God meant for us to eat these
animals that we eat, or if he supplies us with enough with the
vegetables, fruits and grains that we harvest.   We've developed a taste
for meat and I'm the first to admit I love a good steak, but if I give
thought to how it got on my plate or remember the look of the eyes of
the cattle that I saw slaughtered on that program maybe it wouldn't
taste as good.  It just might convince me to use that vegetarian
cookbook that I bought several years ago and haven't used.  Then next
thing we'll know, we'll hear from people that say plants have feelings
too.  I remember (this ages me), years ago that people used to say how
they talk to their plants because it helps them grow better.  Lets face
it, we share this planet with many living, breathing creatures besides
ourselves and I bet if they could talk they'd tell us they'd like to
live to a ripe old age just like we do.  Oh well, just me rambling on
like usual.  I think I'll go into the refrigerator and pull out the
vegetable drawer and see if I can make a "fillet of eggplant."   Barbara