[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog in Rescue'

  • From: Kay Springer <showgsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:55:55 -0800

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree.  If you can not help with a
dog that you have bred that ends up in rescue you should not be
breeding.  In my opinion, this goes for owners of stud dogs also who
are not the breeder of record on the dog.  I too do not have kennels
and the dog limit in my city is three which is what I have.  But if
one of my puppies, God forbid, would end up in a shelter, I would make
sure that I financially supported that dog in a boarding kennel or
rescue organization until that dog could be placed.  I would do
everything I could do to aid in  placing that dog. I have been
fortunate to have only one dog returned.....the wife of the household
developed some mental problems (depression) after the birth of her
first child.  Although I have it in my contract that the buyer is to
contact me first if they can no longer keep the dog, they did not.
However, luckily, they contacted their vet who is my vet who contacted
me.  I called the family involved and told them to I would take the
dog back and asked if they could give me a few days to make
arrangements.  They said they would give me a weeks notice before they
were moving to another state.  About 3 weeks later, after not
returning my calls, they contacted me and said they were leaving the
next day.  Luckily I had found someone interested in the dog and she
went to see "Gussie"  It was love at first sight and Gussie walked out
of her house actually limped out and never looked back.  Turned out
she had a broken pastern. I told her new owner I would pay for the
surgery but she said she would.  Was one of the best homes I ever had
for my dog. Gussie lived to be almost 13 and her owner bought two
other dogs from me one of which turned out to be a Performance Award
of Merit dog.  The owner is Mary Severson who is now a wonderful
friend.  Gussie was her first GSD. Mary now is a big supporter of
rescue and annually donates to Golden State German Shepherd Rescue and
we have just established a senior dog rescue fund in memory of her
second GSD - Rose who was her PAM dog.

If you can not be responsible for the dogs you bring into this world,
then don't bring any into this world.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Multi BISS & Multi Group Winning
Ch. Rohan's Reward TC,CGC,HT,RE,CDX,CHIC
"Strider" 75 BOBs - #5 & #6 GSD 2009