[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dog food info

  • From: Doris E <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showlist <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:14:36 -0700

The following is self-explanatory, and will hopefully clear some ideas
people have acquired about Nutro foods.  I found it interesting, and
thank Doug for the info.Doris E

Hi Doris,
I'm Patti's husband Doug, & I have worked for Nutro for over 10 years
(part-time weekend job in Petsmart). If you read the ingredient label on
any of the bags you will find  either chicken, lamb, herring or venison
meal as the first ingredient, not a grain. We do "NOT" us a generic
poultry fat. That is the "Chinese" stuff we do not, never have or never
will use. The other major myth is meal is not real meat. The true fact
is when it says "Chicken Meal", that's chicken with the water and most
of the fat removed before it goes into the cooking process as a dry
ingredient, which is your true first ingredient. Look for example at
Science Diet. The first ingredient is chicken, which is wet, and the
whole chicken. then corn(which is dry and really the first). Then you
have chicken by-product meal. I hope this helps you understand how
labeling can be confusing until you know how it works.
Respectfully,
Doug