[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dog food - a differnt question/Purina/money & rescue. . . .

  • From: barbmarkh@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, MZ66@xxxxxxx, windwych@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 00:28:39 -0400

I was wondering - for those not feeding the over $30.00 a bag dog foods - what
people are feeding??? I was wondering if anyone is still feeding Exceed or
Diamond or Pedigree - or the Cosco food that someone mentioned not to long ago
??? And what kind of results are you getting from the food . . .
Also - I have feed Pro Plan to my dogs for 30+ years - and now the price of
Adult is getting really close to $40.00 a bag? so I for the first time am
considering? changing what I am feeding. . . .I realize that Purina gives quite
a lot of money back to the parent clubs - and I have to admit that I haven't
paid a lot of attention to what the parent club is doing with that money -? I
have spoken with several other GSD breeders that feed Pro Plan and they are
also looking around at other foods - my point being that if many of us that are
feeding ProPlan change foods - then points won't be turned in and less money
will flow to the parent club . . .I'm not sure that there is anything we can do
about that -? but I hope that the board isn't making plans for the money that
may not materialize? . . . If the club would consider sending most of that
money to LHSH for rescue I might consider continueing to feed ProPlan . . . .

Also - and I know this will cause discussion - I was wondering about combining
the rescue groups - I would suggest for various reasons - combining the Parent
Club rescue group with Last Hope Safe Haven and having Dawn run the group -
having worked with both groups I find more is accomplished using the LHSH
method . more dogs saved (which is the main purpose) - more support for those
of us working in the "field"? and more people working their hearts out to
locate the dogs that need to be saved, find people to pull and transport - if
you haven't worked with them - you should - you would find it a very rewarding
experience . . .I hope this sparks discussion - because the guys in the
shelters need all the help we can give - espically here in the South . . .

Thanks for the help . .

Barb