[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dog Owners growling over revised ordinance - Louisville

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:49:52 -0500

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=4500784
<http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=4500784&nav=0RZF> &nav=0RZF

By Connie Leonard

(LOUISVILLE) -- There's more controversy over the proposed dog ordinance for
the city of Louisville. One specific revision to help get dangerous dogs off
the street had many owners who show and breed dogs showing their numbers at
Metro Hall Monday night. WAVE 3 Investigator Connie Leonard
<mailto:cleonard@xxxxxxxxxxx>  was there.

Second only to the Olympics this week, the Westminster Dog Show in New York
may be one of the most beloved sporting events around. A few of the dogs in
the Big Apple this week are from right here in Kentuckiana.

Many of those dogs also compete in the Louisville Kennel Club's show in
March, one of the largest in the country. And that's why so many show owners
and breeders packed the latest dog ordinance committee meeting Monday night.

They listened as Animal Control Services Director Dr. Gilles Meloche spent
well over an hour detailing his 7th revision of the dog ordinance.

And there's one change this group will not roll over for. "It's absolutely
oppressive, it's burdensome," complained Donna Herzig, president of the
Louisville Kennel Club.

Herzig says Meloche's provision that any dog coming into Jefferson County on
a temporary basis must get a $5 license will seriously hurt the dog show
that welcomes 5,000 dogs and their owners to the city every March.

Specifically, Herzig says she's against the $5 temporary license due "the
fact that they're our guests here, that they bring $3 million into our
economy for a weekend." She adds: "We ought not to be deterring them from
coming -- and I can tell you they won't come!"

Meloche says he was simply trying to make a statement: the top dogs in town
should take the lead in change.

"When you're a responsible pet owner, you want to promote something, you
should lead by example," Meloche says. "The idea was to say how we have this
great show -- everybody should show that every dog should be licensed. It
doesn't matter it could be 50 cents, it could be one cent.!"

Meanwhile, committee co-chair Cheri Bryant Hamilton isn't so sure some of
the changes for Meloche's non-breed specific plan are tough enough. "I'm
trying to prevent the first bite," Hamilton says.

Hamilton knows there's still much discussion ahead, and says she's prepared
for more public resistance like Monday's showing.

"We will never please everybody," Hamilton says, "and you can see we have
some well organized, well financed groups that are opposed, I think, would
be opposed to anything."

The Kennel Club also says Dr. Meloche's definition of a dog that's a
nuisance is way too broad. The working ordinance is being sent to the county
attorney's office for review.

The council committee will meet again in two weeks to discuss any revisions.

Online Reporter:  <mailto:cleonard@xxxxxxxxxxx> Connie Leonard
cleonard@xxxxxxxxxxx

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
"You should not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will
convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do
and the harm it would cause if improperly administered." Lyndon Johnson,
36th President of the U.S.
http://www.rihadin.com
Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
http://www.rihadin.com
Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won't take an interest in you. -Pericles (430 B.C.)