[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog Laws and Afordable Large Property!

  • From: Lee <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hcj2@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:21:53 -0500

I was in for a rude awakening when we went to look for a home in Boca
Raton, Florida. We moved from Pennsylvania with three GSDs, two cats and
two parrots. First, we had to eliminate all the communities that did not
allow dogs at all. Then there were the one dog under 30 pound limit and the
three pet limit. Keep in mind that most of the homes in Boca are in a
community with HOA rules. A good portion of the remaining homes are either
in older areas where most are in dire need of repair or cost over 1
million, at the low end. We were VERY lucky to find a home with privacy in
a community with no dog limitations. Very lucky. And, keep in mind even if
there are no restrictions, there are noise ordinances that are strictly
enforced.

I believe that is one reason, out of many, that conformation entries are
down. It is just too hard and too expensive to find a home in an area that
doesn't restrict dog ownership. Even with no restrictions, I certainly am
at my maximum given the size of the piece of property I could afford.