[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dog Laws

  • From: Michelle Wallis <midwall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:08:49 -0800

Stormy,This is much better for dog owners. Before the dogs were deemed property
and therefore the owner could go for the fair value of the dog. But if you had
a dog who could be saved, and you as the owner opted to do so, you were only
entitled to fair value, not the medical bills. This new case means that if my
dog is hurt (for example in a car accident) and has a spinal cord injury that
can be fixed at UC Davis but will cost $20,000.00 I can seek that in damages
from the party at fault, so long as the costs incurred were reasonable and
related to the accident. This gives the owner options. Most car insurance
companies cap the value of property replacement and dogs are not usually
included. Progressive advertises they will cover your dogs, but the fine print
(last I checked) said not if it was part of a "business"... so your brood bitch
or stud dog won't be covered is what I was told.
This is as close as dog lovers will come to being made whole for accidents,
attacks, negligence, etc.,Michelle Wallis