[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dog Law, funny math, surprise!

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:57:23 EST

I thought this may be of interest to some given the recent AR topic:

Had a call from a lady I know in PA, several counties over.  Long  story
short, the local dept. of agriculture dog warden said she needs a kennel
license.
You would THINK this lady doesn't need a kennel license by definition  of #
of dogs she keeps...I thought she was wwwwaaaaayyyyy under.....think  again!

First let me say that the county and township she resides in has no limit  on
# of dogs kept.  The PA Dept of Agriculture's threshold for having to  have a
kennel license is 26. BUT, (and this is a big BUT!!!!)they don't define  dogs
owned like we might!  Unlike county, townships, municipalities and  boroughs,
the PDA counts a dog as a "dog" at any age, not once they reach 6  months.
Furthermore, you are considered the owner of a particular dog if  you had
custody of the dog during a particular calendar year <the exact  wording is
"keeps,
harbors, boards, shelters, sells, gives away or  transfers">. (Oh, boy, just
think of the legal ramifications for THAT  one!)  The exceptions are dogs
brought into the state for showing or  hunting as long as they don't stay past
30
days.

Here's how it works;  In 2004, I had 5 dogs living here.  I  whelped a litter
from a bitch that I co-own.  I kept two bitches while they  were being bred.
According to the State of PA's math, I "owned" 15 dogs in  2004!!!!  I sure as
heck don't have 15 dogs here!!!!

I have to tell you, I THOUGHT I had done my homework, checked zoning, got
letters of understanding from the township solicitor prior to buying where now
live, but this Dept. of Agriculture law really opened my  eyes.  Personally,
I'm not too concerned because I don't see me ever  wanting more than one litter
a year, but you can see the problem if someone DID  want more, IF they tried
to obtain a kennel license, did everything by the book  and found that the
patchwork of laws (township, borough, county or municipality)  would not allow
kennel license at a particular location. Or what about  the person that knew
their local municipality started counting noses once they  reached six months
and didn't realize the State counted them at birth?

I have no idea if other state's department's have the same definitions in
their laws, but it's worth looking into.

Kathy
visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_