[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dog Health ..Help!

  • From: JParker0127@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 06:19:31 EDT

I just got a new (older) dog yesterday and have been up all night  with her
(come to find out she is not very well kennel trained) a 4 yr old mind  you.
and she has been coughing up dog food though I have not fed her yet. She came
in
on a flight I had arranged for her and the poor  dear was all wet from
spilled water dishes required by the airlines. Once we got  her home however we
found she has a few more problems none of which the lady who  had her told me
of.
She smelled awful! more on that later.

She had fleas real bad to the point of having 7 patches of raw  bleeding skin
and missing hair, not to mention the ones I got giving her a bath.  her nails
were 2+ inches long (and she is not use to getting them clipped), she  is a
rack of bones (nothing like the picture on this lady's web site) nor could  you
see this in the pictures she sent me right before sending her out. When you
touch her, you can feel her back bone from her neck to  her tail, all her ribs,
and hip bones. I have never seen a "show dog" this thin  in my 20 yrs of
dogs. when i wet her down for her bath she was all of 6 inches  wide (looking
at
her from above).

We have a vet appointment today as I want this poor thing seen  right away
and to have documentation on this as not to have it my word against  her past
owner. There was not shot record in her paper work from the past owner  only a
rabies cert. and she told me she had her since she was a puppy. I am not  to
trusting of vets as I think breeders know more at times and would like some
input as to how best to help this bitch on her road to recovery.

Please respond asap so I know what else I can do for her in the  short term.
while we await for the long term recovery to come.

JP