[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog Flu.

  • From: Kathryn Springer <KathrynSpringer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: farmdogforever@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 20:01:28 -0700

The people I know who have vaccinated their dogs have not had any reaction to the shot. That said, they have only had the first shot and not yet the second.

Kay
On Jun 15, 2017, at 5:53 PM, Penny Kroh wrote:

So far, the flu has killed a few dogs in the Southeast. Friends of mine have gotten the vaccines for their dogs and the dogs are reacting with temperatures, lumps at the vaccine site, oozy eyes and other flu symptoms. This flu is much more serious than anything that has come before. Supposedly it was brought in by rescue dogs from Asia. It is airborne and very contagious. Serious cases develop pneumonia and that's when deaths occur. Strong immune systems will help, immune systems that aren't compromised by poisonous topicals and ingestibles. I haven't been to any shows since March. I just don't know what to do OR whether to get the vaccine or not. I've got one of my vets not even selling the vaccine! The other one will. (The one who won't also stopped selling Bravecto, as a couple of his patients <dogs> passed away.

What to do, what to do,

PK

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM Redacted sender ELG440 for DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
How dangerous is this flu? I get the flu now and then and just work through it.

A couple of weeks ago I watched Linda Bankhead do her fantastic job of judging and wipe her hands after each dog. She said the shepherd people aren't used to showing the teeth and she didn't want to do it herself. I appreciate the hand cleaning, but I haven't seen the flu here in Southern California, and is it that serious?

I also want names and addresses for those who are going to strip before going into their homes. We should set up a caravan to view the proceedure.

Evan
http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/
http://www.dogshowjuniors.com/GSYRFindex.asp
http://asgardgermanshepherd.com/

In a message dated 6/15/2017 5:16:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jolisgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I was at a kennel club mtg last night and a lot of the exhibitors in the club are not showing their dogs this summer. They are vaccinating but the vaccine takes about two months to become fully effective. I
We are having a show next month and will follow akc guidelines for frequent disinfecting. Many members working st the show will strip off before entering the house to try to prevent infecting their own dogs. Some members are vowing to throw the clothes away rather than take them through the house to the laundry. The flu can be spread through the air. Entries at many shows are down by 40 to 60 percent
--
Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever