[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog Bust & Latest Article from our friend Christi of Best In Show Daily

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: List List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:36:57 -0700

On Aug 10, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Stormy Hope wrote:

And please let us remember, in the words of Pacelle, "Every breeder is
a puppy mill"

I heard that first hand from one of his kool-aid drinkers...  THere
were 20-25 good kennel owners in the room and this man from the back
said loudly "You are all evil, you are all puppymillers."

They truly believe that.

The new trend is to hate commercial and all breeders, to buy a dog
from a shelter and show disdain for anybody who dares to buy a
purebred dog.

(Sorry... it's what I fight in various ways, many hours a day)

Storm

On Aug 10, 2012, at 5:24 PM, GreyPines@xxxxxxx wrote:

In North Carolina HSUS has all out campaign to pass new and more
restrictive Dog legislation.
The BestInShowDaily has covered the latest breeder bust.
We all need to band together to resist the onerous HSUS thrust into our
sport of Pure Bred Dogs.
Peter Lunding is an active member of the GSDC of Greater  Raleigh.
Please cross post to other lists
Bill P

The article (link):
_www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/.../my-take-dont-be-fooled/_
(http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/.../my-take-dont-be-fooled/)

My Take: Don’t Be Fooled
By Christi McDonald

Posted in: _Politics_
(http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/category/whats-happening/
politics/) , _What's Happening_
(http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/category/whats-happening/)  |
August 10, 2012 at  4:02 AM
_2 comments_
(http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/2012/08/my-take-dont-be-fooled/#comments
)

On Friday, August 3, 2012, Brunswick County, N.C., sheriff’s deputies,
accompanied by “animal rights advocates,” seized 160 dogs from a
double-wide
mobile home in Leland, N.C. Twenty-six birds and one cat were also
removed
from the trailer, which had no electricity at the time of the seizure.
This
was the ninth puppy mill bust in the state over the past year.
The owners of the animals, a couple that appeared to be in their 60s or
older, were arrested on charges of animal neglect and animal cruelty,
and as
of August 6, remained in the Brunswick County jail on $1.5 million
bonds.
You’re familiar with the scene: cage after cage, stacked from floor to
ceiling, of filthy, matted dogs, either cringing in fear or whimpering
for
attention. There are three or four dogs to a cage, and they’re
standing on
wire, covered in excrement. You don’t have to be there to imagine the
smell
inside a double-wide mobile home that housed 160 dogs.
In the host of news stories following the most recent bust,
representatives
of the Humane Society of the United States strongly advocated for  “
establishing laws” to regulate commercial breeders in North Carolina,
reportedly
the site of more puppy mill busts than any other state in the
country. The
newscaster on local TV station WRAL said in her report about the
couple’s
arrest that, “Advocates have been trying for years to get lawmakers  to
regulate puppy mills. There are no state standards for breeders.
Federal  laws don
’t cover most of them either.”
Further into the news story, Melanie Kahn, named on the broadcast as
the  “
national director of the HSUS campaign to stop puppy mills,” claimed
that  “
Almost every product sold in this country is subject to some sort of
regulation, but somehow dog breeding is not.”
Seeing the news footage of dozens of little Shih Tzu, Yorkies,
Chihuahuas
and other small dogs, skinny, shaved down and yipping for attention,
tugs at
the heartstrings of anyone who loves dogs. The pictures of baby puppies,
their  eyes just opened, accompanied by the pleas from the HSUS
representatives. no  doubt convinces most viewers that something must
be done to protect
these innocent animals from abuse and neglect. That is exactly what I
thought  when I saw the broadcast and read accounts of all of the dogs
seized
from what  can only be called a commercial breeding operation.
One state representative, Jason Saine (R-Lincoln), was prompted by this
seizure to promise to introduce legislation next year that will help
“prevent
instances like that happening.”
The problem is that laws are already in place designed to protect
animals
from inhumane treatment. The couple in this story is being held for
breaking
existing laws, with higher bond amounts than are often required for
suspected  murderers. The HSUS representatives are effectively
spreading untrue
information to the public.
Peter Lunding, president of the _North Carolina Federation of Dog
Clubs_
(http://ncdogclubs.org/) , responded to the WRAL report with this
observation: “‘Breeder  licensing proposals’ do not solve the problem
of abusers and
hoarders of dogs.  Abusers of dogs obviously ignore the law. They
should be
prosecuted for abuse  under the current laws under the North Carolina
Animal
Welfare Act.”
Yes, in spite of the fact that news reports repeated over and over that
there are no regulations in place in North Carolina for the care of
animals,
the truth is that in 1977 the North Carolina General Assembly enacted
the
_Animal  Welfare Act_ (http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/aws/
AnimalWelfareAct.htm)  “to
ensure that animals, as items of commerce, are provided  humane care and
treatment by regulating the transportation, sale, purchase,  housing,
care,
handling and treatment of animals by persons or organizations  engaged
in
transporting, buying or selling them.”
The website of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture posts the
_Administrative Code_ (http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/aws/AnimalWelfareAdminCode.htm
)
for the Animal Welfare Act, which  includes requirements for feeding,
watering, daily waste disposal, heating and  cooling, ventilation and
other
aspects of the care and housing of dogs and  cats kept for commercial
sale.
The problem is not that laws aren’t in place. The problem, really, is
that
there is never enough manpower to monitor every household or
“business” in
any  state, in order to prevent this kind of situation from happening.
Of course, HSUS and other animal rights extremist groups don’t tell the
truth. They continually claim that there are no laws, no regulations
in place
to protect these animals. They want to put more laws with more stringent
requirements in place because their goal is to eliminate the breeding of
dogs.
“’Puppy mills’ are bad, obviously, and bad publicity for dog breeders in
general. There are more busts in North Carolina not because there are
more  ‘
mills,’ but because HSUS is trying to get the public behind legislation
that  it wants,” says Lunding. The animals rights extremist groups
play on
people’s  sympathies, and it works. It worked on me, and I am far more
educated
about  the situation than the average American who is swayed by press
coverage of  puppy mill busts.
That’s the frustration, you see. I want to protect those dogs that are
abused by puppy millers. But I want the laws that are in place to be
upheld. I
want the general public to understand that it isn’t all dog breeders
who
are the problem.
“We need to change the language of the argument,” says Lunding. “I’ve
always thought ‘abuse’ is the issue, and we ought to prosecute the
abusers
under existing laws, not write more legislation that burdens small
breeders
and dog lovers.”
How do we, as dog owners and hobby breeders, contribute to this
conversation?
Awareness is the first step. We must educate ourselves and our
acquaintances about the dangers of being swayed by the animal rights
groups.  Fighting
legislation that threatens us as breeders and the future of purebred
dogs
is a very expensive task. One way that we can all contribute is by
joining
our local and state coalitions and alliances. If you want to help
protect
and promote the world of purebred dogs, join your local organization,
which
you can find by visiting the AKC list of _Federations of Dog Clubs and
Other
Allied Groups_ (http://www.akc.org/governmentrelations/
federations.cfm) .
Every  dollar counts.
If you haven’t already, please join the more than 70,000 people who have
signed _AKC’s petition_
(http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/join-with-the-akc-to-protect-responsible-small-breeders.html

)  expressing concern about the
USDA’s proposed  changes to the federal Animal Welfare Act.
End.