[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Does your dog have suspension?

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>, carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:32:20 -0500

Carolyn I think we addressed this a few weeks back. In motion the dogs
elbow should be open.It should not be at a right angle from the body, the
rear should open and follow through without dragging the feet. At one point
for a split second all fours are off the ground, that is suspension. The
back should be short and firm, without weakness, dips, rolls. A good back
is important to transmit the motion. the rear should be strong and able to
propel the dog forward.The motion should not be up and down.The head of the
dog should not be bobbing up and down in motion.The dogs back inside leg
should get under the dog well past the loin. If a dogs croup is too flat
and or short or his overall body length is too long, or the loin area is
excessively long, then the back leg usually dogs not get under the dog far
enough to achieve that powerful thrust and push off. On the flip side dogs
that are too square in overall proportions often are not good movers for
the opposite reasons. Bottom line is that  motion should be so smooth that
you could  imagine sitting a glass of water on the dogs back and never
spilling a drop!!!Balance is important, but keep in mind, terriers are
balanced, that does not mean their movement is correct for our breed. the
word "balanced" should never be used as an excuse or to justify improper
movement. Balance to me should be the dog is opening up completely and
equally at both ends and cover the maximum amount of ground with a minimum
amount of effort.As of late I have heard statements made " There is more to
a dog than movement or sidegait"..Well that would be like saying there is
more to the dog than temperament or breed type.Movement and sidegait are as
much a part of our standard as Temperament and type. Actually I don't think
I have read another breed standard that spends more time describing motion
as ours!!! However, it is amazing how some will conveniently pick and
choose parts of the standard to justify what they are breeding. Again, most
breeders can breed two out of three of the criteria for the ideal dog, but
three out of three is a challenge. Also, still pictures of dogs often do
not show the truth. I have seen stills that make the dog look great, but
when I see the dog in real life, I can see how the back gives, or the
underdrive is lacking. Never breed to a dog based on a still picture!!!!
Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 9/12/2007 1:07:39 AM
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Does your dog have suspension?
>
> Great post Carolyn McKenna!!
> Suspension is just a split second in the timing of the gait of the
GSD.....and sometimes it is caught
> by the camera.....sometimes not.    You can literally FEEL it when
running with a dog with a nice
> long easy precision stride and suspension.    You should be able to feel
the forward power off the
> rear......and the suspension causes the dog to be light on it's feet and
athletic in it's movement
> and ability to change speeds and turn and change direction.
> Unfortunately some are compensating with a kick up in the rear and
lifting in the front....and that

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:12 AM
>   Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Does your dog have suspension?
>

>           Suspension is but one aspect of movement,  just as head is but
one  consideration in judging the
>   whole dog.  Most breeds exhibit suspension  at the trott. In fact, one
of the finest examples of
>   suspension I  have seen  was in one of Chuck Murrey's Cardigan Corgis.
Suspension can actually
>   be there for all the wrong reasons, such as in the up-an-down movement
in which the whole dog
>   "lofts" off the ground  like a carousel horse.
>   This is  one of the reasons we need the white wall at the national. In
most breeds  we want balance
>   in the forward reach and the rear extension. This can be   seen by
drawing a line along the rear and
>    foreleg at full extension. If the  dog is balanced the lines will
intersect at a point above the middle
>   of the.  back. In most breeds this will be several inches above the
back; however,   therein lies the
>   difference in the GSD.  We want the lines to intersect very   close to
the top of the back, all four
>   feet off the ground, but barely, with  no movement of the topline. So,
yes there can be suspension
>    in poor  movement, but there must be suspension if the movement is to
be   considered good.
>    BTW, how could there ever be suspension when toes  are dragging ?
Carolyn

>   Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Just in my own opinion, I
see very few dogs that have true suspension
>   when they are gaiting.  I find it very rare, and when I do see one that
>   does, he/she truly stands out.  Recently I saw a picture of a young six
>   month old puppy bitch that just won best puppy at a specialty show.  I
>   believe Sally was judging.  The puppy had a magnificent shoulder with
>   the proper follow through in the rear.  She was so good that you could
>   see she was suspending while in motion in her picture.  This same puppy
>   has a older 1/2 brother who has this same kind of movement.  In fact at
>   a spring specialty, a judge friend of mine who is also a movement nut,
>   came over to me and asked who that dog was.  I have seen some beautiful
>   moving dogs who I wouldn't say had suspension, but rather were strong
>   powerful movers.  My question is this:  does a dog need to have
>   suspension to have good movement?  What's your opinion?  Best,  Barbara
>
>   --
>   Barbara J. Galasso
>   CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS
>   Visit my website at http://chieftainsgermanshepherds.com

>   POST  is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the
original  author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or
FORWARDS of  any kind are permitted without prior permission of the
original author  AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

>   ALL  PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY  MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS  EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS  PROHIBITION WILL
BE PROSECUTED.