[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Does size matter?

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Kathy Martin'" <foxtrotgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:22:00 -0700

Are you sure of that?? <G>
Are you positive we all try to correct missing teeth....or temperament...or
terrible lack of rear drive and
soft backs..... or dogs with a gait that requires being HELD UP to be
coordinated......but NOT SIZE??
I see some fuss about size that really don't seem concerned about any of the
above....and always seem
to assume that those with a big dog are not aware of it. I've never met one
breeder yet that was not
aware when they had a dog over the Standard.....but admittedly it is often LOW
on the list of priorities
at times when there are so many things to be concerned about. Same with one a
tad undersize.
Size is almost self correcting when breeding correctly....but it isn't always
the exact Standard size that
is the best puppy in the litter.

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: Kathy Martin [mailto:foxtrotgsd@xxxxxxxxx] Subject: Re: Does size matter?

I guess what I'm trying to say is we breed to correct ears, missing teeth, etc.
However, we don't even try to
correct size IMHO.Kathy Martin

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm wondering would we pick size to enforce, to the point of changing the
Standard.

Why not take into consideration EVERYTHING that we see that lacks "desired"
perfection??

WHY throw out any dog, one, or even two inches over ....or under the
"desired" height...or
why even CONSIDER changing the Standard because of it and not take into
consideration
all the other faults in one ring on any given day?
What about missing teeth, overset or soft ears, dogs with less than perfect
thick round feet,
dogs with hocks a little long...or long loins or long backs or short flat
croups, low withers or
upright shoulders.....and that is not even getting into the actual faults of
gait we see at every
show nor the issues of temperament......?

I've never understood why we pick out one thing. EVERY DOG has something that
is less than
what the Standard requires...or MORE than the Standard requires. That does
not mean the breeder,
exhibitor, judge, etc. is "ignoring" it. "Typically" <G> it means the
breeder, exhibitor, or judge
feels the dog is still superior to every other animal in the ring according to
the entire Standard.