[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Does size matter?

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxtrotgsd@xxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:52:58 -0700

From a breeding standpoint, If I saw a great moving dog with an iron back that
was on the low end of the standard, I would breed a larger bitch to him, size
is not that hard to fix. On the flip side, I would not breed a bitch to a
larger dog, if the larger dog wasn't a mover, just to simply breed to a large
dog. More is spent in the standard on movement, transmission of motion and
temperament. The standard clearly says in the preface that the breed is a
"middle size dog" with enough weight to be an effective herder or patrolman. I
would take it to the bank if a 24" or 25" male was shown, he would be penalized
for not being "big enough." Interestingly, when I was reading the preface the
ideal dog, "does show some suspicion of strangers.." which is a whole other
discusssion on how we evaluate temperament in the ring.
As for humans I would suspect that a person who is over 6' would not make a
great gymnast just as I would suspect that a person who is 5' would not make a
great linebacker, one always as to be aware of ones limitations. C.Grainger
 I'm wondering would we pick
size to enforce, to the point of changing the
Standard.  Why not take into consideration
EVERYTHING that we see that lacks "desired"  perfection??  WHY throw out any
dog,  one, or even two inches over ....or  under the "desired"
height...orwhy even CONSIDER changing the
Standard because of it and not take into
considerationall the other faults in one ring
on any given day?What about missing teeth, overset
or soft ears, dogs with less than perfect thick round feet,
dogs with hocks a little long...or
long loins or long backs or short flat croups, low withers
or upright shoulders.....and that is
not even getting into the actual faults of gait we see at
every show nor the issues of
temperament......?  I've never understood why we
pick out one thing.  EVERY DOG has
something that is less than what the Standard requires...or
MORE than the Standard requires.
That does not mean the breeder, exhibitor, judge, etc. is
"ignoring" it.
"Typically"   <G>  it
means the breeder, exhibitor, or judge feels the dog is still superior to
every other animal in the ring according to the entire
Standard.  Carolyn
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   On Behalf Of Kathy
Martin  Subject:  Re: Does size
matter?  I remember seeing Dakota and
Destiny in person and they were gorgeous!That aside, as breeders, are
we going to ignore the "desirable" height/weight
mentioned in the standard, or are we going to ignore it? If
we're going to ignore it, don't you think it should
be removed from the standard? Just throwing that out there
for discussion.Kathy Martinfoxtrotgsd@xxxxxxxxx  On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:34
AM, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:When I was in
high school I was 6'4" and 190 lbs.... Or at least
that was the way I acted! Lol FB

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile
App