[ SHOWGSD-L ] Does anyone really care?

  • From: "Chris S. Kimerer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx" <arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>, 'The list' <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:26:48 -0700

Catching up on this list mail, and I read the email Sue sent and Carolyn's
response (as well as all the others but chose to use this one as a reply point)
After being involved in this breed for 30 years now, I can concur with Carolyn,
I CARE, A LOT!!!!!  I don't feel that I am a big name in the breed, I do have
supportive handlers, I would hope anyone that pays a handler would have their
support, otherwise, why have a handler!  I do not however get any favors from
judges, but as mentioned by some, I do my homework and know which judge
appreciates a good dog and choose to show under them.  If someone always
complaints about never winning, it's all fixed and a done deal before the dogs
are even shown, my suggestion would be this.  Either get a better dog, or show
under a more knowledgeable judge.  I have shown in both venues, All Breed and
Specialty, and have done a fair share of winning and loosing in both rings.
I've also done limited breedings, sell most of my puppies to wonderful
pet/companion homes and a few into performance venues, and I could count on one
hand how many have gone to strictly show homes.  Not because they were not good
enough, but a good show home is few and far in between.  I would rather sell my
puppy to a family home than just another show prospect in someone's kennel.
The breedings that I have done have been first and foremost for my own personal
reason, to hopefully continue my line.  To lump all AKC show dogs into a "mess"
is an insult to all of us that try to breed quality healthy well adjusted dogs
that can also step into an AKC ring and bring home the purple ribbon.

I have no problem with breeders that choose to breed white GSD's, our greatest
asset in this Nation is that we have freedom of choice.  BUT, I do not think
the standard should be changed to accommodate those breeders.  They knowingly
chose a color that was a DQ and has been for a very long time now.  Whether
that was done in  ignorance, prejudice or whatever the reason, it's been
clearly written as a DQ and changing that to "a serious fault" will not bring
the white GSD to the front of any AKC class let alone allow that dog to win a
purple ribbon.

So I just don't see the point or reason to make the change.  I strongly stand
with Carolyn who has asked repeatedly how this will help improve our breed, and
I have yet to read a strong enough valid reason for such.  I've not posted on
this for a while now, it seems like we are beating a dead horse, since most
minds are made up.  The reason I responded to this thread was the "accusatory"
tone toward our AKC show dogs being a mess.  White breeders do health
clearances other breeders don't etc etc etc.  I certainly know only a very few
white breeders on this list, and they do do a lot of good health clearances,
but, I also personally know of multiple AKC show breeders on this list that do
the same amount of health clearances and temperament testing on their dogs as
well.

I love the breed, and the friends I have made by showing dogs are important and
irreplaceable for me.  Allowing the white GSD to show, or the longcoat to show
will not change any of that one bit.  If either change would improve the breed
I would support it, but I can not see how it will improve our at all.

Chris
Chris S. Kimerer
Hillside-Tanbark Kennels     http://www.tanbarkgsd.com/
            "where good bloodlines never die"