[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Do you want to?

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 01:27:07 EST

In a message dated 1/6/2006 8:38:07 PM Central Standard Time, ELG440@xxxxxxx
writes:
If we need to get it out on time, how would you do that?   Do we hand deliver
it, do we force the post office to do better work?  Do  we insist on the
printer to find a new system of deliver?

How do we make it more interesting?  For me I think I  want some rope tricks
in each issue. Or maybe some Penthouse letters to  Gail?  What about babes of
the Detroit German Shepherd Dog  Club?

I want real suggestions,

Now that is progress.  Another member at least realizing there is a problem...

Only the folks currently doing the Review know the details that solutions can
be drawn up from.  It's not the Post Office, even if the Post Office is
sometimes slow.  Adjustments could be made for a target mailing date for each
issue, which takes in the possibility of slow mail delivery.  The target date
should attempt to get Reviews delivered by the 15th.  That way, if there is a
postal delay, the issue should still be there the same month that the cover has
printed on it.

If the printer is a problem, get a new printer.  I don't know any details of
problems with the printer.

Anything that can be done to decrease lead time for advertising should be
done.  Deadlines should be in granite ... The Review should never be held up
for
any single advertiser.  I don't know that it is now, but deadlines are
necessary.  I suspect part of the problem is advertisers letting the editor
arrange
their ads.  That is a good service, but camera ready copy should be guaranteed
the shortest lead time.  Any copy needing work from the Review staff may be
delayed to the following month, and that should be stated in the advertising
information section. That should instantly decrease the work load for Review
staff.

There is a simple solution to getting more advertising submitted by the
membership.  Drastically lower the cost of an ad.  Until you prove to potential
advertisers that the Review is a good place to spend their advertising dollar,
you will only go backwards by charging more than the space is worth.  At this
moment, an ad in the Review isn't worth much at all.  How can I say that?
Because very few people are buying ad space.  Improvements to delivery and lead
time will eventually help that situation, but it will take time so lowering the
cost is the only solution for the time being.  Ad rates should be reconsidered
at the end of each year, and adjustments made accordingly.

I think some advertisers are not interested in having their ad overshadowed
by color ads which are too expensive for many people.  I'm not sure how to
solve that problem, but I do believe it exists.  I know I saw ad rates in a
Dachshund magazine in which the color rates were a lot cheaper than the
Reviews.  I
don't remember the specific numbers though.

The Education Committee should submit an article every month.  Those articles
should be on breeding dogs, or perhaps discussions about old bloodlines.  The
cost for printing that article should be taken on by the Education Committee,
or even by the Parent club itself.

There has also been an obvious push to make the performance people happy.  I
think this has been done at some cost to things interesting to the folks who
are only interested in conformation.  The GSDCA should have a Performance
Committee which is dedicated to all of the performance venues.  That committee
should also submit a monthly article to the Review.  The cost of that article
should go to the Performance Committee, or to the PC.

There should also be a feature article similar to what we see now.

That is a total of three articles in each Review with some attempt to print
something interesting to everyone.  How do we pay for that?  The first year
would be difficult.  Before you're going to make money, you have to convince
people your product is worth what you're selling it for.  I'm no advertising
person, but as I understand it, circulation dictates the value of advertising
in
any magazine.  If you manage to increase circulation, you will increase
advertising.  Commercial advertising should always be sought out, and that will
get
easier as circulation increases.  Unfortunately, because of today's Review
problems, a lower subscription cost to non members should also be considered.

I've heard there is a rule that dictates how many pages can be printed, based
on how many ads are received.  That sounds wise from a financial stand point,
but it is foolish in the long run.  All you get from that rule is a thin,
uninteresting Review.  If the GSDCA wants to put out one of the best dog
magazines, we will have to invest in that hope first.  The goal should be the
best dog
magazine.

A great help to all of this would be a serious increase in membership.  For
the time being, inexpensive memberships without a Review subscription should be
available.  Advertising for membership should also be done as much as
possible in various dog magazines.

Is advertising on the PC's website making a profit?  If it is, some of those
funds could be directed to the Review.  After all ... that would have a direct
negative impact on advertising dollars received through the Review.

I'm throwing ideas out there just for the sake of making suggestions. Only
the people directly involved really know the problems and therefore what might
be the best solutions.  I don't expect any or all of these ideas to be popular,
but any ideas should be taken into consideration.  I also have no good answer
to the logical question .â?¦ "How are you going to pay for this?"  That is a
question that should be asked after the best possible magazine is debated and
designed, not before.

Tom Langlitz