[ SHOWGSD-L ] Do you and your dog share chemistry?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:33:01 -0400

I might have told some of you this before, but for those of you who
don't know, I used to be the manager for the largest introduction
service in the world called "Together."  Yup, it was one of those dating
services.  That and teaching were my two favorite jobs.  Talk about
interesting stories...........OMG, I could and should write a book about
it.  Anyway, I read a report one time about the secret to long lasting
relationships.  The article said that there was a formula known as the
three "C's".........that is: communication, compatibility and
chemistry.  Now my work with the dating service consisted of the clients
completing a long list of questions that measured them in certain areas
of likes, dislikes, interests, etc.  Then I'd interview them for a
minimum of two hours and believe me sometimes up to five hours!  I could
sell them on the program and match them up with their requirements, but
one thing I couldn't sell them was chemistry.  And just what is this
thing called chemistry anyway?  The dictionary defines it as a strong
mutual attraction, attachment or sympathy.  Recently a mother told me a
shocking confession. She had confided in me that which some people only
admit to themselves when they hope no one can read their minds.   She
told me she has two children and she favors one over the other.  She
loves both of them, but prefers the company of one of them to the
other.  She said she couldn't explain it, but there's just something
special about one of them.  She had hit it right on the head.  That's
how my understanding of chemistry between two people
were............something you couldn't explain, but it's  there very
strongly.  It's what makes us ask ourselves sometimes, "What the heck
does she see in him anyway?"  It's all about chemistry.  Others may not
see it, but it exists between the two people.  So I asked myself
recently, "can we have chemistry with a dog?"  And my answer was
"definitely, a big fat YES!"

When I look over the years of ownership of my dogs, I definitely had my
favorites.  It had nothing to do with the fact if they had a title or
not.  It had nothing to do with if they were the best looking or not.
Champion or not, old, young, pretty or homely, there was just something
special about my favorites that stood out only to me.  And of course the
"special ones" knew that they were special as well.  My other dogs
didn't get any less quality of food than the special one, any less
attention than the special one, or any less comfort than the special
one.  But there was always a certain amount of delight that I felt when
I pet the special one, there was always a knowing look when her eyes met
mine.  Heck I even think I talked more ridiculous "baby talk" to the
special one.  All I know is that I just couldn't think of not having
this special one in my life.  As it doesn't happen with every person you
meet, so it doesn't happen with every dog that you own.  I only own
three dogs now, and yes one of them is the "special one."  In fact, I'm
embarrassed to admit it, I find I become a "goo goo ga ga" mumbling fool
around her.  I can't stop looking at her and admiring her.  I laugh at
her antics although she's extremely bad.   I take delight in making her
food, and I want to grab her and kiss her but even that she makes me
work hard for as she wiggles her body circling me as I try to reach out
to grab her.   She makes sure that I barely can touch her before she
pulls away in another direction. Yeah, she's the reason they call her
sex bitches!!!!   Aww.......sounds like an old black and white romance
movie.....guy meets the girl, guy wants the girl, girl plays hard to
get......girl has him wrapped around her finger!  So there you have it.
I admit it.  I most definitely have chemistry with some of my dogs more
than others.   How about you.........do you and your dog share
chemistry?  Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS