[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Discussion topics

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RivendellP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 16:58:02 -0500

Ya know, I got a private email about size & standard, and I finally put it
in the right words as to how i see it
I also should not be a judge anytime soon because I think this way. I know
that already. But it could serve me well as a breeder?
We pretty much all agree faults of movement and of temperament are the
biggest, most serious faults we could have. Think about this: either
trait is controlled by a multitude of inheritable genetics; so many, we
can't actually control, nor predict them all even having a genetic test, if
available. We must breed carefully to control those kinds of things, and
we try very hard to get it right. However, in the case of let's take size
versus long coats: the long coat gene is a well-known and testable for
autosomal recessive. Recent studies have found and proven there are 6
genes involved in size of dogs, and many more modifiers that affect those 6
known genes that control canid size. Thinking on what is more easily
"fixed" in the next generation, out of standard size should be more of a
fault than a long coat, or say, light eyes (as only 2 genes control eye
color).
But then, using a list of genetic sins to determine faults, the near
perfect yellow eyed dog would lose to the near perfect coated dog... but
then one eye color gene is fixed in GSDs and only leaves the modifier
active... oh what to do, it's a genetic tie!
Thank goodness for beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Which brings me
to ask a question about movement, and that Paul mentioned a bit about the
mechanics of movement. (the list does accept attachments now, Paul- so you
can share those) Who here feels that good movement is seen at the walk as
well, not just at the middle to fast trot common to our specialty rings?
Am I unusual in that I look at lateral motion to be of the same importance
of forward and vertical motion in the efficiency of all strides in
movement? Just throwing that out there... I still often wonder how it is
larger breeds than ours do well showing in the average ring (though I do
know our dogs do have a huge stride per height ratio as compared to any
other breed, but the over all stride is no longer than the giant breeds' as
they have more leg & body length to do it with) where our breed's
exhibitors complain if there isn't a special size GSD ring. Why should it
take the first 10 yards for our dogs to get their stride gathered? How are
they to turn on a dime after that jerky creep of a sheep, zig-zagging every
2 steps? How do those other giant breeds go stride to stride without
problem well enough to be judged properly? I only ask because we all know
that I don't show a lot in the specialty ring, and just honestly want to
know so I have more perspectives on our breed... I found out last Friday
at the Maturity I have a little bitch who apparently likes showing, having
asked for a butt scratch during her temperament test and really being happy
when a few people were polite enough to clap for her, so we are going to
try a little bit more that she made a good time for herself... so I would
like to know- and sure anyone else who reads might like the tips learned
too. Maybe even encourage new handlers into the ring- learning about
evaluating dogs and presentation a bit more :) (not that I'm new to dog
handling overall, but yes I am to today's GSD specialty style of it) That
you all know I'm as nerdy as I am, anything about the
mechanics/mathmaetics/science of our dogs delights me to learn.
Thanks

Jen P & her Pack

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 2:47 PM, RivendellP <RivendellP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hiya all...

The “Standard” is a blueprint to as close as possible...the perfect dog.
And...as the Standard states...”unmistakable when present”. That
said...Judges are not all cookie cutter imprints that will do the exact
same thing. We do our best to judge dogs to our own interpretation of the
Standard. John De Hope (GRHS) & I used to talk for hours on end discussing
just such questions that Kathy posted below. The phone would ring in the
middle of the night and it would be John asking me which fault was more
important to me? Sometimes he would take “pro” & I would be left with “con”
& then we would switch sides. The bottom line in our discussion was Judges
interpret the Standard differently so it is up to the exhibitor to take
their dogs to the best Judge for their dogs. Sounds simple...right? Not so
much as we’ve found in our 35 years in the sport.

Our breed is one of the most utilitarian on da planet. They are
different pegs that fit in many different holes from Police work, guide
dogs, working (as in herding), service dogs, to serving our country in
times of war & peace. They react equally well in the various segments of
our sport...i.e., conformation, obedience, rally, agility, & herding. That
said...there is one attribute that serves them all well in each
venue...correct structure. If that structure is correct they will be able
to accomplish each task with greater ease. If that structure allows them to
move with an “ease of motion” (also unmistakable when present) they will
accomplish each task with less expended energy that also allows them to do
any task longer than a dog whose structure is less correct. I once wrote an
article on motion with illustrations from noted artist\exhibitor Syd
Mailburg. (GRHS) I still have them but don’t know if I can somehow transfer
them to “Da List”? Syd made the illustrations from pictures of actual dogs
in motion & captured the depictions as only she could.

Imagine a line that runs parallel to the ground. That line runs through
the prosternum of the dog and out the ischium on the croup of the dog. If
the line remains parallel while the dog is in motion, the energy expended
is the least possible to accomplish a dogs task. If the line runs up or
down from parallel, more energy is required to achieve the desired number
of steps to be taken. It’s easier to explain with the illustrations for
reference...

It is a good discussion for all on “Da List”...oldsters & newbies alike.

Paul

PS...GRHS means God rest his\her soul...both John & Syd have left this
life...but left their impressions for all of us to appreciate.

Educational and informational. We need more of this type of discussion on
the list. I would also like to read about competition training in
obedience, tracking, and herding.

Thanks
John, Rita, Callie, and

On Friday, June 26, 2015, Kathy Martin <foxtrotgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK.....I'm sure I would agree with you on that one VBG. However, does
that mean we should look to change the standard? If the size/weight listed
in the standard are simply the "desirable" traits, does that mean that
under/over are "undesirable" traits? If we choose to ignore the
size/weights specified, does that mean we can pick and choose which parts
of the standard we adhere to?
If it's OK for a dog to be an inch over size, does that mean being an
inch under the desired size is also OK? In reality I doubt there are many
judges that would put up the "under" size. Let's hear from some of those
judges out there!

Just throwing these thoughts out there for purpose of
discussion.....remember, it's all FB's fault. He asked for discussion
topics!

For the record, I'm the first to admit I love a big boned "hunky"
masculine male dog.

Kathy Martin

--
JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs...
Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.gsyrfund.com