[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Discussion topics

  • From: Lew <lew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:57:24 -0600

It is my understanding that nutrition is actually poorer now than it has been for 50 years. The year I graduated from HS, 1967 was interesting in two ways. Peak of SAT scores and milk consumption, both went down ever since.

From fitness.gov:

Typical American diets exceed the recommended intake levels or limits in four categories: calories from solid fats and added sugars; refined grains; sodium; and saturated fat

Americans eat less than the recommended amounts of vegetables, fruits, whole-grains, dairy products, and oils

Since the 1970s, the number of fast food restaurants has more than doubled

Empty calories from added sugars and solid fats contribute to 40% of total daily calories for 2–18 year olds and half of these empty calories come from six sources: soda, fruit drinks, dairy desserts, grain desserts, pizza, and whole milk.

US per capita consumption of total fat increased from approximately 57 pounds in 1980 to 78 pounds in 2009 with the highest consumption being 85 pounds in 2005

I don't know if there is a stat somewhere, but it seems to me that if you are obese or even overweight as a child you will be shorter...

When I lived at home we had home-cooked dinner together as a family, no TV, we drank a glass of milk, and all had to eat our vegetables. We were all skinny... (all the rest still are, but not me :( )

On 6/29/2015 9:47 AM, HessenGSD wrote:

When I was in high school, I was tall at 5’6” yet kids these days are much taller. I suspect that is at least partially due to the abundance of good nutrition. Would anyone say that these kids are incapable of being good athletes because they are taller? Something to think about . . .

Peg Graham - http://HessenGSD.com <http://hessengsd.com/>

Home of Multiple BISS, Pacific Coast Victrix, 2012 #8 GSD in USA, 2014 #4 GSD in CA, GCH CH Mariner’s Akaya RN HSAs “MOTO”

"May I always be the kind of person my dogs think I am."

--
Lew Wurdeman