[ SHOWGSD-L ] Disappointment in Dog Show People

  • From: "Stylistic GSD" <stylistickennel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:58:46 -0400

Once again, we are reminded that our actions (or lack thereof), in cleaning up
after our dogs, are certainly not viewed well by the public.
After hosting a sucessful and fun-filled show weekend in Kanata, we arrived
home to find this e-mail from a member of the public staying at our host hotel.
As is quite evident from their following e-mail, they were not, nor should they
have been, impressed with the lack of clean-up by some of our " dog show
people".
For those who took the time to clean up after their dogs, we thank you....for
those who did not, and there are always a few.......SHAME ON YOU!!!!!. It's no
wonder that we are losing host hotels willing to allow us on their property
with our dogs.
Doug Kightley
Secretary
Ottawa and Area German Shepherd Dog Club

My family and I were staying at the Comfort Inn at 222 Hearst Way in Kanata.
We were travelling with our dog and we required accommodation that allowed
pets.  While we were staying at the Comfort Inn on July 11 and 12, a large
number of hotel patrons were checked in with German Shepherds.

We travelled from BC to Ottawa and were very appreciative of the hotels along
the way that allowed pets.  We are responsible dog owners and always pick up
after our dog so that this privilege is not taken away for other dog owners.
We were shocked when we walked in the grassy area around the hotel to find that
owners of the German Shepherds were not cleaning up after their dogs.I agree
all dog owners are responsible to show exceptional dog stewardship in order to
prove to hotels and non-dog owners that dogs on the premises will not be
disruptive or destructive.  As CKC or AKC dog owners staying at hotel
properties we would expect the owners of "show dogs" to be held to an even
higher standard then most.

We were so appalled by the amount of excrement left behind by "show dog" owners
that I searched for the show and located an E mail address in order to send you
our complaint.  I hope that you will mention to the participants, particularly
the ones who stayed at the Comfort Inn in Kanata, that they need to be
responsible for their pets and set a better example in the future.  I would not
be surprised if this hotel stopped accepting dogs in the future due to the mess
left behind, it was disgusting.

Sincerely,

Glennis & Robert Newcombe