[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Different Venues

  • From: Stormy Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Shepherd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 09:49:40 -0800

Sara, I finished a dog in the UKC shows on one weekend.  I actually
got a point or three on him in the AKC rings, too.  But I wouldn't
have shown Dreamer seriously in the AKC rings.  (I handled him).   He
was not correct, too wide in the front, couldn't get his rear under
him and he ran "wide" in the front.  (Beautiful head,though and a
fantastic temperament:).  The UKC judges loved him.

But I was encouraged to keep showing him.  You CAn keep showing in the
UKC rings as they have several levels of Grand Champion.  Many of the
people that I knew in the venue kept showing their Champions for a
long time.   Just for your information.

Good luck with your dog.  Showing your own GSD is fun and I did it up
until I was way past Soc. Security age:-) I didn't need a tough hide
as I just worked on my own dog and just didn't hear (I guess) any
negative messages. :-)

Stormy Hope

On Dec 7, 2011, at 7:37 AM, Sara Minsk wrote:

Just re-read about the woman with the idea getting her head handed
to her. Bummer.

Yes, I was told UKC is more of a performance type registry where
dogs are expected to work and working conformation is rewarded.
But, I saw about 75% of the people I showed with at UKC at the AKC
Thanksgiving cluster show (not german shepherd people though)!
Plus, at UKC a lot of those other breeds are Champions in both AKC
and UKC. We had several finished AKC CH at the UKC Shows (not GSDs).
In fact, the #1 Saint Bernard that has w