[ SHOWGSD-L ] Difference between all-breed judging and specialty judging?????

  • From: "D.D. and Bonnie Ardoin" <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:17:02 -0600

My observations of the difference in the two venues is: Many all breed
judges apply and get German Shepherds to judge as part of judging the
herding group.  They do not have the passion for the breed as specialty
judges.  That said,  if they make a mistake in judging or appear as if they
could care less what they put up.e.g. using a handler as the guiding "light"
rather than the animal, then I can understand or rather accept that
scenario.  But when a specialty judge does a poor job or an apparent
political "job",  then I say shame on them.  They are the experts and
guardians of our great breed.  They should be ashamed of themselves for
injuring our breed with their questionable performance as a judge.  No one
person knows all there is to know about the German Shepherd dog.  It is a
continuing learning process.  An honest mistake is acceptable, especially
when you can admit when you are wrong.  This happens to all of us who judge
with an open mind. A specialty judge must never forget the awesome
responsibility we have and we must fulfill that responsibility to the best
of our ability each time we judge a show.

                                     D.D.
P.S.  Hope I do not hurt myself getting off my soapbox!