[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Die Grossmutter....Dummkopf

  • From: Celeste <cherpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 18:28:12 -0700

Kathy,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memory. I felt like I was there. I could
feel your excitement of the discovery of finding Grandpa and loving him.
Loving it! You know we all feel the pain when one of us has to say the final
goodby to one of our dogs. So, too, we all share the high times.
Thank you
Celeste

On May 5, 2015, at 4:44 PM, (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for
DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I remember showing an Am. Bred bitch in NY. STUNNING dog a bit away, later I
realized it was a Veteran Dog. Grabbed a catalog. Wow...couldn't believe my
eyes, I had his grand-kids in the whelping box, had never seen the dog in
person. My Am. bred bitch went WB/BOW and BOS over specials. I don't have a
picture from that day. Know why? I was too busy chasing the owners of the
Veteran dog and when I caught up with them...I said "Can I pet your dog?"

I HAD to get my hands on him.

I'm sort of missing the passion these days, I'll be the first to admit. I am
surrounded by terrific specimens. Just weary of the BS....

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 5/5/2015 6:52:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I believe you must have a pure passion for the BREED, and a good eye and real
knowledge of the

Breed and Breed Standard to endure. In other words...as a good Breeder and
a good Judge, if

you love the BREED you will know and appreciate an outstanding German
Shepherd Dog when

you see it.....no matter who bred it or who owns it or who handles it!
It's NOT about how much

I love my 'Rufus' or his particular handler......it's about the BREED and
the Breed Standard to be

competitive in the show ring.

There is no REAL success without all of the above. You can hire someone to
pick out your dog,

train and show your dog, and finish your dog...and not even know why it wins
or why it loses.

The real long lasting pleasure and commitment is much like Celeste
mentions...by learning and

KNOWING a good German Shepherd Dog. Knowing what you need....and know
what you have.

We were never mentored. We watched for years while we raised our family and
we learned as

we went to shows and observed, and knew what we wanted in a good GSD and
learned along the

way what we would not tolerate.

There is no perfect GSD. You need to know what flaw or even what minor
fault or fault that you

WILL tolerate as compared with the overall dog......as a Judge and as a
Breeder. Know what

behavior in your dog is important. Surround yourself with REAL GSD's and
REAL people.

The Standard is our ruler...our guide....and it also can be measured in
"increments".....Beginning

with ideal or perfect....what is not ideal or not perfect or undesirable.
What flaw or less than

ideal or desirable, or minor fault or fault does matter more, and why.
What is easy to correct

and what is not easy to correct.

Unless you own that Pot of Gold...<G>......it is your responsibility to know
what you want, what

you have, or why your dog DOES win...or does NOT win.

Or.........there's always DUMMKOPF <G>

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Celeste Sent: \To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx Cc:
<jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>; The List; Carolyn Martello

Our beginning in the breed was not of one putting their arms around us and
directing us around pitfalls.

We went to icons in the breed and learned in short order we were not getting
the results we were after from

their "help". We were taken to the cleaners by two different
breeder/judges/handlers. Hard knocks, desire,

and passion sharped our eye and was absolutely the best way for us to grow.
Had we been spoon fed, I don't

think we would have been able to be confident in ourselves or learn as
quickly.
Just my take. Celeste

“Or, ” she said, frowning, “You could try reading the Standard and breed a

better German Shepherd hund than Panzer.”

Die Grossmutter spoke both Hoch Deutsche und Platt Deutsch.... but she drank
Schnapps.

Whether an Irish Grandmother who drinks a small bit of Irish Whiskey or a
German Grossmutter who drinks a little Schanpps in the evening, they do
provide some wisdom for their grandchildren.

Know the Standard.

The hard part is looking up from the words on the page....... A person needs
to be able to recognize the dog in flesh and blood as a reflection of the
Standard when it is gaiting

across a broad field or an ample show ring.

When I told Die Grossmutter years and years ago that I had read the Standard
and then looked at my dog Panzer, I really and truly thought he did meet the
Standard.

That’s how I learned the German word “Dummkopf”.