[ SHOWGSD-L ] Die Gross mutter was....

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@freelists. org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:29:51 -0700

... getting old.
I looked out the window one morning and, wonder of wonders.... there was Die
Grossmutter running in a freshly cut and baled hay field with two German
Shepherd Dogs.

"Grossmutter", I shrieked...... "Halt.... Stop... you are much too old to be
running with German Shepherd Dogs....
You are near 82 years old now.....much too old. Come back to the house and rest
in your rocking chair."

<SNIP>

She was right, of course.

Not until about thirty minutes before I draw my last breath, God willing.

Jane Kerner

Jane is, of course, the genius of the allegory. I love her Grossmutter, for
over the years I have learned so much from her.

But, alas, I have decided otherwise. For me, my dog days are over. I will not
have another dog, which of course means, German Shepherd Dog, for that is the
only dog in my frame of reference. I am old and getting slower and running
through the fields of hay, although appealing to my imagination, is hardly
within my ability these days, So I am content to love on George and Elle, my
Army x Secret kids and keep my promise not to leave dogs in my passing for
others to care for. This of course is sane and sensible, and far be it from me
to be otherwise.

There are dreams unfulfilled in life and in my dog dreams there are those dogs
whom I shall never find, never show and never love. It is fitting that my noble
side should take charge in these golden years, where it has not surfaced in my
younger years. Yes, it is time to be sane, sensible and to finally grow up.

I shall now cuddle the cute puppies, smell their breath, remember the glories
of the past and the dreams of yesteryear. Yes, I remember... I remember the
recurring dream of standing at ringside at the nationals, of course I do not
know what year it was to be, for it was but a dream. And I was talking to Bob
Grady, who was in the ring, as he always is, in his white suit and dapper
frame. And we were laughing about something, I do not remember what, when a
stern and loud voice rang out from inside the ring, sounding so much like my
daughter Alycia. When I turned to see what she wanted, she was red faced and
shouting at me, “Stop talking and do your job,” she yelled. “He has won
ever show he has been in and he is odds on favorite to be Grand Victor in a few
minutes, we are in the front of the line, and you are socializing again. He’s
your dog too, now get in place and call him!”

There on the end of the lead she was holding was the most gorgeous red sable
dog I have ever seen. Oh well, so much for dreams. Occasionally when I have
this dream, I still doubt my resolve, but this time I will not be deterred –
NO MORE DOGS! FINAL!

Yet, in Alycia’s litter box of two week old puppies, is one big sable male
who’s dark coat already show signs of a lovely red cast, and...

“No! No, I will not hold him” I say as the memories of the dream come
flooding back. I will not have another dog.... well, maybe just one more!

Cursed!

Dave