[ SHOWGSD-L ] Did anyone else get this German Shepherd survey e-mail?

  • From: CarolHDD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 23:32:48 EDT

I received the following e-mail this evening and was wondering if any other
regional clubs have received it also.  When I opened the questionnaire they
are asking personal information about the owner, breeder and dog.  They are
not interested in the health of the dog but in behavior and temperament.  I
will be happy to forward privately the attached document to anyone  interested.

Carol Hudd in Las Vegas

Dear Ms. Hudd,
I am a graduate student at Columbia University in New  York and am
collaborating with Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest, Hungary  on a
study about German Shepherds and am wondering if the GSDC of Southern
Nevada might be interested in participating. You're listed as the
Secretary on the GSDCA website.

I am seeking at least 8 German  Shepherd owners to fill out the attached
questionnaire about their dog; I  have already collected 42
questionnaires from GSD owners around the  country.  The GSDs should be
at least one year old and registered with  the AKC or a comparable breed
registry.  Those with more than one GSD  can fill out more than one
questionnaire if they'd like.

The  questionnaire can be completed in Word and emailed back to me, or I
can mail  out a paper copy upon request.  Participants can navigate
around the  questionnaire in Word by pressing the "tab" key or by
clicking in the gray  areas. It takes about 7-10 minutes to complete.
After the first section, the  rest is multiple-choice.

Confidentiality is important, and we separate  all personal identifying
information from the data during data  analysis.  Our goal is to
understand more about the breed as a whole and  not to draw conclusions
about particular dogs, breeders, or  owners.

Below, I have listed further details that I am required to  provide.  I
can be reached by email or by phone at (646) 708-1953 if you  or any of
your members have questions or concerns.  Thanks for your  time.

Sincerely,
Michele Wan, MA
Graduate Research  Fellow
Columbia University Department of  Psychology

Introduction
You are being asked to participate in a  research study. It is important
that you read and understand several general  principles that apply to
all who take part in research studies: (a) taking  part in the study is
entirely voluntary; (b) you will not experience direct  personal benefits
as a result of taking part in the study, but knowledge may  be gained
from your participation; (c) you may withdraw from the study at any  time
without penalty. The nature of the study, the benefits,  risks,
discomforts and other information about the study are discussed  below.
Significant new findings discovered during the course of this  study,
which may affect your willingness to continue participating in  the
study, will be provided to you.

Study Procedures
You will fill  out a questionnaire about your dog, which will take up to
10  minutes.

Risks
To the best of our knowledge, taking part in this study  cannot hurt you.
There is the possibility of risks which are unknown at this  time. The
only known risk to you of your involvement in this study is  the
inconvenience of giving up to 10 minutes of your  time.

Benefits
There are no direct benefits to you in participating in  the study.
However, information gained as a result of this research may help  people
understand German Shepherd Dogs  better.

Confidentiality
Although every reasonable effort will be made  to protect the
confidentiality of your records, such protection cannot be  guaranteed.
By law, representatives of the sponsoring organization,  Columbia
University's Institutional Review Board (IRB), and other  regulatory
authorities may inspect these records. All personal information  made
available for inspection will be handled in strictest confidence and  in
accordance with data protection laws.

Compensation
You will  receive no money or other type of compensation for your
participation in this  study.

Additional Costs
There are no costs to you for participating in  this study.

Contact Information
If at any time you have questions  regarding the research or your
participation, you should contact the Study  Coordinator, Michele Wan,
who will answer all questions. Her telephone number  is (646) 708-1953.

If at any time you have comments regarding the conduct  of this research
or questions about your rights as a research participant,  you should
contact the Columbia University Institutional Review Board at  (212)
851-7041.

Participation
Participation in research is entirely  voluntary. You may refuse to
participate or withdraw from participation at  any time without penalty.
The investigator may withdraw you at his/her  professional discretion.

Columbia University Protocol  IRB-AAAC9561
Approved 12/1/2007 for use until  11/30/2008

fuel-efficient used cars.