[ SHOWGSD-L ] Diary from Chyna's mother (one of them)...

  • From: "Donna M. Calabrese" <onaluzlead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gsdshowlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:57:30 -0500

Hi all,
Got home at 4:30 am from our NYC trip...God it was good to be home in NY but
better to get home here in  PA in our own beds!!! This was a trip of 1st's for
all of us. Going to the garden with our own...a total different prospective and
what a job; lot's of schlepping. It's so much easier to show up...First the
excitement of being invited...to the excitement of telling one of our dearest
friends and co owners Betty Ashdown that she was #3 in the Breed Standings and
#2 bitch, therefore invited to pre-enter. For as many CH's and accomplishments
in the breed Betty has had in her 40+ years, this was a thrill of a lifetime
for her on a totally different level. It did seem like this was a year of that
for her...thank you Chyna. Betty flew in last week to be part of our week
"before" with lot's of crazy last minute preparations...and she will be flying
home tomorrow (due to ice and snow) her flight was cancelled today. This time
she leaves not holding the gigantic beautiful trophy of Canadian GVX with the
beautiful large ribbons...but a Purple flat ribbon embossed with Gold lettering
and a beautiufl Mahogany box with an Award of Merit in it...she won't be
charged extra at least for luggage this time <VBG>. Chyna went to NYC with her
moms...and made us all very proud. She went in and did her thing as she has
been doing since the National at the All breeds. She had a wonderful round of
applause...and I am very overwhelmed by how many people came to see her...from
other rings and breeds based on her ads and reputation already. Leslie and
Chyna had Betty and I smiling from opposite ends of the rings. She was in great
company and I do believe we all (GSD people) gave each other tremendous support
and lots of appreciation for the covering each other's dogs when we needed a
lunch break and/or potty break. To do the Garden takes a team, you can't do it
alone...No Way no How...having friends helps! We had fun all sitting together
all day, people watching, doing good PR for our breed and keeping each other
out of trouble with the "fine police".
Anyhow, I do want to say that the BIS line up is one tough one...those are the
very dogs we compete against here in the NE and Mid Atl. states on a weekly
basis. Not saying the competition is any easier anywhere else...however, now
everyone see's the Sealy from PA, the Weimy from NY, the Toy from PA, the
Aussie from MA, and the Beagle occasionally up from SC...so anyone that gets a
group placement with that type of competition has alot to be proud of
especially when you win a few.

Then as the day was quieting down, I figured time for my next surprise...I then
told Betty about the dog Walker with Angels on a Leash and his tremendous owner
Mary Ehrhart from the GSDC of Memphis. I had to explain that during the
evenings judging of groups etc they would be acknowledged by the media and
special 90 seconds spot ads were done on their behalf...to recognize the great
work and therapy that this dog has done with St Jude Hospital and rehab
facilities etc. What makes that special for Betty is that Walker was out of her
dog Ch. CovyTuckerhills FLYNJIBodega...with a breeding done by Terry and Ruth
(as you all have heard). To have a progeny represent our breed so well and so
big was thrilling for her too...another 1st for her, in her journey of GSD's.
As you all may remember Jib was shown by Leslie in Veterans a few years back
and is the one she took the leash off of  during her individual...and it
brought the house down. So, we had gone up to the press box to meet them and
what a wonderful conversation we had, it's great to make these connections with
people...what a small world we really are!
Then off to Broadway...well to see a show, not be one for a change...<vbg> We
treated Betty to Young Frankenstein...a Mel Brooks Classic...WOW...it was
great. Perfect ending to a great few days in NYC. If anyone gets a chance to
see this, go...don't hesitate for a moment. I was never a fan of the movie nor
the story growing up...this put another twist to it...we all loved it!

Thank you to all for the nice emails of congrats, it was nice to read this
afternoon and to those who have helped along the way, in any way shape or
form...a sincere Thank you...she is surpassing my dreams of having a dog in
both rings at the same time and making believers out of those who didn't think
this was all possible at the same time with her. My theory...Say's who?

Congrats to Geneva and CO. and to Bandit and CO and to Vinnie et all...you are
all right about the BIS dogs...we didn't see the actual class, we were on our
way out of NY, but we know the dogs and they are all gorgeous. It's about which
one captures your heart at the moment. I am Thrilled for Erin and the Beagle,
it was his 1 year anniversay married to his wife...on Valentines week...but
above all WHAT a GORGEOUS DOG and performance.

Hopefully everyone got home safely through that horrible weather...and all the
dogs are relaxing before going back to workin on the weekend...
We hope to be back next year...
Donna

      Then, Now ... Always...The Girlz
      Aramist Kennels