[ SHOWGSD-L ] Diamond users--Now what to feed????

  • From: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 15:06:43 EST

Hi all,
I know there are quite a few Diamond dog food users here on the list.  I have
used the Lamb and Rice for several years now mainly because it has NO CORN in
it--and my dogs LOVE it and have done well on it.  I also feed raw and cooked
meat and raw veggies.
Now that they have recalled all the Diamond, even tho the Lamb and Rice did
not have a problem, I am having a terrible time finding a dog food that I can
buy that my dogs will eat.  I buy my Diamond at the Tractor supply (farm store)
and since I usually take Jenna or one of my other dogs with me and they can
go IN THE STORE with me--and they are very friendly and enjoy socializing with
all the people in the store--the manager there was really good to me.  When I
first went in after the recall, he gave me the choice of any 2 bags I
wanted--FREE!!  My first choice was Nutra Max because I have heard it is
supposed to
be such a good food.  Well, when I opened the bag that nite at home to feed
dinner--here is these big ORANGE ball chunk things--looks like something from a
gum ball machine  (YUCK!!)--and of course most of my dogs wouldnt eat it.
(Sure didnt look very appetising) We tried it for several days--I did use 1
whole
bag.  1/2 of my dogs are hogs and will eat just about anything.  The rest
wouldnt eat it.  I took the other bag back and he again not only gave me 2 free
bags--but also my money back on the 1 I returned.  (they like me and my dogs
there.  :-)
My next choice was Science Diet Lamb and Rice and an Iams Lamb and Rice.
Again--same thing-1/2 of them will eat it and the other half wont.  My next
choice which I have now is the Walmart food-Maxxium Nutrition--I got 1 bag of
Lamb
and Rice and 1 bag of the chicken.  Still going thru the same thing--right now
I have 5 dogs that basically eat the meat out of it and leave the dog food.
This is a real problem for me.  I dont know what tastes and smells most like
the Diamond--so I dont know what to buy.  My dogs are basically healthy and
all have good appetites and normally they all finish their meals. I never have
problems like this with food.
Anyone else out there having problems switching from the Diamond Lamb and
Rice to something else?  any suggestions??
And--
when the Diamond Co. again starts distributing their food--are we buying it??
I think I would feel safe buying their Lamb and Rice.  what about you all?
Cheri Hunt
Cheradon Shepherds
Home of Ch. Cheradon AchtungErynbrook Molokai, OFA H&E, TH, PA, CA, EYE CERT,
TC,  &  GSDCA Certificate of Health Merit Excellent (AKA Ch. Mikey)    Ch.
Mikey      Cameo's site