[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Demodex

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:33:11 -0500

We have had some Dals in the past with it - varying from little spots (one on
the leg) to several.... My understanding is that all living beings have the
mites on them - they exist in our eyebrows, around our noses, and so on.. Dogs
have them.... Normally, the immune system can hold them off. However, when the
immune system is compromised in someway and usually during the "teenage" years
of a dog's life, the mites take over.

I have bred the dogs with demo and I don't know how hereditary the demo is
itself - but I do wonder about the immune systems. Two of the bitches that had
it we bred and their offspring were fine. A stud dog had several spots of it
and his kids also had it - after three litters, we didn't use him again... He
didn't live a life as long as most Dals, so I wonder....

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC