[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Demodex

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: murk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 07:58:02 EDT

We're in total agreement.

My one and only personal experience was with a puppy that I purchased  that
was shipped cross country.  It was a non-issue for him.   It's been a lot
of years ago (15?) but I remember the vet saying I could treat  it w/ 10 days
w/ goodwinall (sp???) and it would go away or I could do nothing  for 10
days and it would still go away.

Where I think it IS an issue is w/ immune compromised dogs.  As  we all
know, chronic immune issues CAN be caused by a whole lot of things that  are
hereditary.  Therefore, I come down on the side of  those who feel  that if
demodex is a reoccurring problem, a dog should be removed from the  breeding
pool.  There's something else going on that is allowing the dog to  be
impacted by something that occurs naturally in its environment.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 9/4/2009 7:21:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
murk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Kathy,
Brad has always told me that ALL dogs have mange mites  and it is when
(going to a new home, etc) the pup gets stressed that it  can pop up.
Haven't
had any in years, but when I did he'd give me a little  bottle of mitaban
dip
in mineral oil. I'd dab the spot with it every day  for a week and it was
gone. Mo

>I kinda disagree w/ you here  Norma.  The mites exist.  A weakened  immune
> system  (which CAN be due to genetic make up) makes the host
susceptible.
> So
> can disease.  So can stress. So can poor/weak   condition.
>
> Those cases that are due to a genetically flawed  immune system can be
said
> to be genetic.
>

>  Kathy, member GSDCA,  DVGSDC

POST  is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)