[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Demodex

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:15:04 EDT

Many very healthy puppies can develop demodectic mange during times of
stress. This usually occurs during teething and can occur during adolescence.
When LOCALIZED mange occurs, (on the face, and sometimes on the front legs)
it  will usually clear itself up (if you are willing to wait) ....These dogs
are  fine, and can be bred.  When it occurs on various places on the body,
it is  GENERALIZED mange, and is extremely dangerous. I had the great
misfortune  many years ago of whelping an entire litter that developed
generalized
 mange. It was one of the worst experiences of my life in dogs, not to
mention the poor dogs and their distraught owners. Nine dogs (the entire
litter)  had to be euthanized! They would not respond permanently to treatment,
and they  all developed staph infections due to the terrible nature of the
disease. My  wonderful husband took out a credit union loan, and I refunded the
purchase  price to half the owners. Some owners trusted me, and took a
replacement puppy.  One or two thought I was the worst person in the world, and
wanted absolutely  nothing more to do with me. This was extremely painful
and humiliating.
The mother of these pups was extremely immune compromised...she had shown
no symptoms before the whelping of this litter. She had great hips..(We did
not  look at elbows in those days...) She went on to have terrible problems,
and  had to be euthanized herself.
Puppies that have the localized mange are not problematic. Do not worry
about their future. I cure them with one face bath of Taktik, which is the
same  as Mitaban, but labeled for cattle. (which you can buy from the
catalogs)...I  use the dosage of one cc to 10 ounces of water. The mange starts
clearing up in  two days...I just do the whole face, (not just the mange spots,
which is usually  a hairless reddish spot), so that there will be no living
mites to spread.  Taktic unfortunately comes in a pint size! and one cc does
not make a big dent,  LOL, so I have given some to friends over the years
whose pups have had a mange  problem. I know that Ivermectin is the new
improved treatment, but to me it is  more serious medicine than is needed for a
small localized problem.
Shalom, Syd

In a message dated 9/3/2009 1:34:20 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Everything I have ever read and including several vets have suggested  that
Demo mites (any mites for that matter) become a problem for the animal
because the immune system cannot fight back - when normally it  keeps the
mites under control.

Compromised immune systems happen for a  variety of reasons - underlying
health problem, stress and........ TADA....  GENETICS!!! Yup, some dogs (and
people) are not born with healthy immune  systems - hence health problems in
many cases and mites do  apply...

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals  (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC  & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA &  GTCDC

Get  back to school stuff for them and cashback for  you.
http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackT
oSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1
POST  is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org