[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Declining interest in showing

  • From: "Pat Lukos" <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Terry Cochran" <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>, <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lollark@xxxxxxx>, "Da List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:20:47 -0500

I believe that we got two new members; some people said they will join but
didn't have the money at that time (times are tough for everyone).  One person
was interested in conformation but has decided to do herding instead which is
great also.
I feel one of the biggest areas of interest was just the fact that the new
people were able to be with other people with GSDs and that they could be
included in Club activities.

There was general discussion on nutrition, soft ears and one puppy needed its
ears taped so that was done; we discussed soft pasterns and how to help with
that problem; there was just not enough time to cover everything but it gave us
a lot of food for thought for our next picnic.  I think the key part of
education is keeping in touch with your puppy buyers; when you see GSD people
outside of the show venue ask them about their dogs, give advice or support
where needed, and always mention the Club.  I know that is what I do.  I just
had a fellow that I met in my vets office 3 months ago that had a 3 month old
GSD and he emailed me about ScH....I know the puppy is from working lines...I
was able to help send him in the right direction.

I think another key to this whole discussion is knowing that we can have fun
with our GSDs as a group and club; not that we are exclusive as a Club; that we
welcome everyone who is interested in their GSD (and may want to join work for
the club down the road) *grin*

Pat Lukos