[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Declining entries~ n stuff

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:55:00 -0700 (PDT)

I agree do not believe imports GSDs are any healthier or have better temperament
at this time than the American bred GSDs.  As the defective genes will play the
role in both
but there is no way of knowing for sure until after they are bred. However,
if you know the bloodlines and what they carry it can help. The problem with
the imported
GSDs unless you knew these dogs in Germany you have no clue of their issues. I
do
believe this is the reason now with the new warden and rules.

"Breed Warden and others.
This year there are indeed..NO Sieger/Siegerin, NO VA rankings. Only
V and SG rankings.
Here's a rough German to English translation of the rule change:

The improvement of the current conditions in the breeding of the German
Shepherd Dog is not only the responsibility of the Federal Breed Warden but
also the personal concern of the newly elected breed warden, Lothar Quoll.
For the duration of his term, he has introduced 5 principal aspects which
are already being worked on:

1) Health/Agility of the GSD
2) Return to the standard size
3) Broadening of the bloodline basis (gene pool) and reduction of inbreeding
4) Promotion of working ability
5) Opposition to the trend of breeding of “cookie cutter dogs” (all looking
the same)."

This is not meant to go German bred GSDs against American bred GSDs but
this a reply to your message.  I will add that maybe the top German breeders
sending
problem GSDs to America a light will go on now with how owners or breeder buy
their dogs.

As far as Show owners and breeders being rude to others at shows I personally
have
never seen this at either a GSD Specialty or AB show as I do not see this the
reason.  However,
I have heard comments about the judging and their placing in a negative way. I
think a idea to
get more show handlers, owners and breeders to show up with their dogs might
offer a refresher course
to all Judges that judge a breed like they do with horse judges.

Theresa

On Sat, 3/22/14, Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Personally I think the problem in our sport is multi
 faceted, BUT many years ago I posted that I felt that the
 working dog faction of our breed was undermining breeders
 who bred and showed in AKC conformation. They brazenly
 claimed that "imports" healthier, more intelligent, stronger
 in temperament and character. They chastised (and still do
 if you read Yee's letter") that our breeding practices were
 not in line with the SV, that because we did not adhere
 to these practices our dogs were inferior. Over the years,
 I have been exposed and owned many dogs form import lines.
 I also had close friends who imported many dogs from well
 known breeders in Germany. They were not healthier, they
 were not more intelligent and like us they had animals with
 serious temperament issues. Many of these so-called
 knowledgable breeders of import dogs are no more than puppy
 mills who have purchased mediocre working dogs with some
 so-called working "titles" and they are selling below
 average quality pet puppies to unsuspecting people who
 have been conned into believing that "import" equates with
 "quality." Our leadership for YEARS turned their head to
 this, because they wanted to embrace the working dog
 people. I guess we can now see where that got us!!! We are
 not the only breed that has diversity
  within the breed. Field setters do not resemble show
 setters. Field labs do not resemble show labs, yet it
 seems these folks can co-exist. If you want to destroy
 something do it from within, divide and conquer. Christine

http://showgsd.org/mail.html