[ SHOWGSD-L ] Decisions Decisions

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:15:40 EDT

Sometimes, I really despise making major decisions.  This week, I made  an
easy decision, one that was positive and very hopeful.  I was asked to  join
Last Hope, Safe Havenâ??s  Board of Directors and have happily accepted  this
offer; I am proud to be joining this amazing group that has, literally,
worked miracles for so many German Shepherds in so short a time.

Last Hope is not the first GSD Rescue organization with which I have been
affiliated over the years.  Many of you know me as a breeder/exhibitor but
my heart has always gone to those dogs about whom no one cares.  I was a
founding Board member of AGSRA and, for a number of years, was on the Board of
 Mississippi Valley GSD Rescue.

Last Hope has fascinated me since its inception; it is an organization that
 embodies what I believe to be the ideals of rescue as well as the
fortitude to  actually implement those ideals.  ALWAYS, the dogs come first.
As a
funding organization, those involved with Last Hope spend hundreds of hours
each  week to find, place with an accredited Rescue and FUND those German
Shepherds in  need.  Without LHSH, the majority of these dogs would have been
inhumanely  destroyed.  There are health and temperament criteria but age is
NEVER used  to determine an animalâ??s â??worthinessâ??; those wonderful GSD
seniors are revered  as they so deserve.  In fact, Last Hope's ultimate goal is
to have a  permanent facility established as a sanctuary for unwanted
seniors so that they  might live out the remainder of their precious lives in a
loving and safe  environment.

The biggest reason I have for joining LHSH is their policy for timely
funding.  When a GSD is in an emergent situation and every moment is  critical,
LHSH steps up, then and there, to help provide that animal whatever
treatment it needs.  As an independent rescuer, I can tell you how  impossible
it
can be when you have a perfectly wonderful and salvageable dog who  needs
$1,000 worth of treatment/surgery.  There is no time for applications  and most
vets wonâ??t delay payment for months in the hope that maybe an  application
will be accepted and the funds be provided.  They want to be  paid for their
services when rendered or very shortly thereafter .  Last  Hope does this.

Every dollar raised by Last Hope, Safe Haven is spent on the welfare and
salvation of our breed.  It is not banked to create a high balance or earn
interest but is a constant flow from the donorâ??s pocket straight to a dog in
need.  For me, at least, THIS is the purpose of a rescue funding
organization and Last Hope, Safe Haven has more than met their purpose.

So, I thank Last Hope for the invitation and humbly accept.  Finally,  I
have found a home where what is in my heart is actually being done on a
nationwide basis.  I am located in northern California so, for those of you
who
live on or near this wonderful left coast, feel free to call or email me if
you need help.

Thank you, Last Hope - Iâ??ll do my best!
Diane

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
_http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com_ (http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com/)