[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dec Review

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vande001@xxxxxxxxx, Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:57:47 -0800 (PST)

I don't have the Review yet, but I don't understand why anyone would object to
a paying ad from anyone provided it is not objectionable in content. Being a
different breed is not reason for objection. If I wanted to support the
magazine and advertize my pet rock, I would assume tht would be fine --

  Get real folks - if it is a paying ad, say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT and get
on with your own lives --
  Ruth
Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have not received the Review yet, but I can say that I am very confused as
to why any other breed would want to advertise in our magazine. Helen is right,
there are plenty of all-breed publications where that would be a better way to
spend their money. I just don't get it and hope it is not a trend. One would
hate to be in a position of saying "no" to advertising dollars, but it may come
to that. A very strange happening, indeed. Cynthia

VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx wrote:
The Dec Review came yesterday,gorgeous as usual,with a great good-bye
article from Lew,about the wonderful Denver National.But I was disturbed by one
thing. I know we crossed the NO-No barrier,under Gail Sprock,as editor, that
had
existed for 40 years ,about advertising the white German Shepherd in the
Review. And now with the versatility of activities expanded with Schutzhund
work, and Working dog sport, we have ads running for equipment that used to
appear ONLY in the GSD Quarterly. And all of that is great,but I have to ask
Mike
Lynch( he's on the List) and Susan,WHY are you putting ads in on the
Portuguese Water Dog,Norfolk,and Soft-Coated Wheaton Dogs,in a German Shepherd
Dog
Magazine??. As a judge of 51/2 Groups,I probably get 50-60 Breed Magazines
per month from each of the different breeds( they send them free to all judges)
I have NEVER seen any of them advertise any OTHER DOG breed--maybe with
cattle ,horses,pheasants,but no other breed. There are many magazines that
cater
to all the breed winners. Dog World is probably the most well known,but we
have Canine Chronicle.and others that can be used. I'd hate to think our GSD
breed magazine had to start taking ads for other breeds just to make money.
Many of our members have another breed--Shelties,Dals, Skipperkies,but they
don't advertise in the Review. I really feel our breed magazine should remain a
single breed --not a multi breed magazine. Helen Miller Fisher