[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dear fellow GSDphiles....

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:15:40 -0800 (PST)

 Its pouring rain here...the kind of rain that comes in like a desert
sidewinder; whipping around you stinging any exposed skin. You are drenched
within moments and looking for a warm pair of socks and a fireplace to soothe
your soul.
 My dogs are all in; not happily I guess, but safe and dry nonetheless. They
have been fed, toileted, loved on and given their morning cookies and their
stuffed kongs...disgustingly spoiled. The house is quiet, except for the sounds
of their gnawing and an occasional "RRRRRRRR" as they stretch out and change
position.
 Its in moments like this that I cannot help but remember the picture of a
throwaway pup in Celina Ohio, sitting in a cold kennel, hoping for liberation
and the chance at a lifetime of love....or the dam and her 7 babies, scrounging
for a quiet corner in a filthy pound in Chesterfield SC....What will become of
them? Only He knows..
Yet, there have been moments of joy in doing this.
When I got the call from Johnnie Winston that the four GSD pups from Roicy were
safe in her arms and not destined to cross over in a cold steel box, gasping
for air....when Gene Werkman called to tell me that Cue was in his truck and
motoring home....when Rick Fagan sent me photos of Starsky, the HANDSOME sable
boy he pulled moments from the gas chamber; filthy and emaciated, now sitting
on his porch; filled out, clean and brimming over with happiness...with Tari's
email that she was on top of a female who was suffering from kennel cough, and
was destined for her home when she recovered...when I get the joyous news from
Diane that Lily wagged her tail; probably for the first time in her life,
knowing the love of a human....
 We all have the capacity to do something for these forgotten ones...a phone
call, a few dollars for a donation, a crosspost, a letter to a town official.
These things take moments of our time and in the bigger picture, can mean the
difference between life and death for a dog who has given up hope. So MANY on
this list are dedicated to rescue..and though I know they are not doing it for
publicity or accolades, they SHOULD be recognized and applauded for their
efforts. It is a THANKLESS job sometimes..not all of them can be saved. They
have been far to damaged by humans to be brought around, and only the light of
the Rainbow bridge can heal their souls. To let an animal go who has never
known the warmth of a kind human hand is the worst kind of tragedy. We can only
hope that they know that with our final act, WE cared.
 And so, I want to thank the moderators of this list for allowing me to
continually post animals in desperate situations. Yes, there ARE rescue lists,
but this list has a broader and more diverse base of people. Just recently, I
was emailed by a lister who had someone looking for a Yorkie thru rescue! I was
THRILLED that they reached out to an animal who might otherwise be destroyed.
This is why it is essential that rescues continue to be a part of this
list....that we ALL pull together and spend a few moments a day searching thru
Petfinder sites and calling on shelters where there are GSD's in need. The
shelters are not calling us, this is sadly evident.
For the animals, I humbly remain....Dawn Restuccia

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Mortgage for $1,698/mo -   Calculate
new house payment