[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dangerous Dogs

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:52:05 -0700

I decided to see what prompted the poll we've been discussing. I went to the
web site
http://www.katu.com  I did a search for "pit bull ban" and came up with nada. I
then did a search for "dangerous dogs" and up came the stories. They have a
video that is a 2 part story. Part 2 ran last night and they found that 52% to
48% favored banning pit bulls from the US. They listed the GSD as the 3rd most
dangerous dog in the US. Number 1 was the Pit Bull and number 2 the Rott.

Oregon is considering harsh dog laws that could fine owners of dangerous dogs
up to $6000 and a year in jail. Many of the people shown in the video were
asking for a ban but were anything but knowledgeable about dogs period. Would I
say the story was slanted against dogs...pretty much but not completely. The
one thing that jumped out to me was not once did they suggest education in lieu
of legislation.

The worst thing is that more and more of the "progressive states" are trying to
adopt laws as proposed in Oregon. They used the Denver CO and Ontario, Canada
outright bans on Pit Bull in both segments. It left a bitter taste in my mouth
at best. It also hasn't helped that there seems to have been a rash of attacks
lately in various parts of the country. There were 5 in the last month here in
N CA and now people are surrendering any pit bull look alike in droves. Of
course, that will lead to euthanizing them and the AR's will have new fuel for
their fires.

I've had better mornings...

Paul

Visit Rivendell on 'da web' at www.rivendellgsd.com