[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dallas and sons

  • From: lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 02:27:38 +0000 (UTC)

 have pondered on whether or not to jump in for a few days; and then I thought
about how I would feel if it were my dog being discussed via such a public
forum.  With a lot of people who read but never post, you wonder who is
reading the comments.  They read the threads and believe it as truth. (FYI: I
have no ties to Dallas or his sons; but I have seen many stud dogs and
owners torn up unfairly over many years.)

I don't think anyone can deny that Dallas did a lot for our breed.  This is
evident through his sons/grandsons who are producing many of today's winners.
IMO Dallas gave us beautiful type, bone, soundness, and consistent type. Like
many ROM dogs, it took the owners promotion to get ROM's and Red Book /Top
Producing status. At the end of the day; no matter who promoted- the progeny
won based on their own merit.  Kudos to those that can accomplish.  It takes
dedication and hard work to promote an animal, ask anyone who owns an ROM.
 Do we have to beat up the those that worked aso hard to get these titles?

 I go to the shows and hear "so and so produces xyz fault" and it is many
times unfair.  Any dog who is heavily used will throw every single fault you
can think of.  The greater the number of progeny, the more prone to a problem
cropping up. Bitch owners forget that the dam was responsible genetically for
50% of the problems.  Just as an example, I popular ROM GV stud dog from
years back (not Dallas lines) has been labeled as a "producer of bloat."  When
I asked the commenter for specifics, she said "abc dog" out of this sire died
of bloat.  Ok, but how many progeny in general lived long healthy lives?  The
people that own these popular stud dogs will tell you what they feel are
"issues".  They don't want people breeding to their dogs that are not a good
fit.

I think all of us are concerned  that our gene pool is getting slim.  Because
these Dallas and his sons produced so well, many breeders wisely used
them.  Now, we have created a bubble where the winning dogs go back to the
same bloodlines.  All dogs genetically carry good and bad; the question should
be where to take the progeny from these lines to open up the gene pool and
compliment the good.  No bloodline can be successful by continually breeding
back into it. As fewer people come into our sport, we have less
animals/bloodlines to breed to.  Where can we take these animals and continue
to improve, add some other genetics?

It just seems very unfair to single out bloodlines via this forum.  It is
hurtful to many who love their dogs.  Ask any owner of a GV how the dog they
loved was torn apart.

Respect goes a long way when you are talking about the dog who sleeps at your
fellow dog owners bedside. Imagine if this was YOUR DOG people were talking
about on the list.  I am sorry, IMO it is just wrong.