[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DVM MAG>>>New Colorado bill would mandate annual veterinary examinations for breeding dogs

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sue Madlung" <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:25:39 -0800

I had replied to this in an earlier post to the list, Sue,(so won't belabor the
point)  but from what all of us who have been following these bills and
legislations have found, the next step is 10 dogs and in one state right now,
 3 intact bitches, whether being bred or not.  Puppy mills, in AR language is
any breeder who breeds.  I know that most people don't believe that is true,
but if you read the AR blogs and lists (I do, so I can be educated from BOTH
sides), believe me, if you are a breeder, you are a puppy mill.  (An AR word,
coined by ARs, along with much of the other language that is now in general
usage)
Stormy

On Jan 25, 2009, at 12:02:56 PM, "Sue Madlung" <stormygsd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I think the operative words here would be 'commercial breeding" and also
refers to breeders owning upwards of 25 breeding animals.. this looks like a
good step towards hitting puppy mills.. if you own one or 2 or 5 breeding
animals, is having a annual vet exam outside the norm?? I know of breeders
who breed animals over and over for their entire lifetime and they never see
the inside of a vet clinic..
If puppy millers were at least required to succumb to annual vet checks ,
then I would expect the animals would be at least kept in a healthy state.

--
Stormy Hope
carpoc.org